The 1916 Beehive and the 2008 Beehive

Last night was Mutual Night. We tied humanitarian quilts.

I am in the Young Women's in my ward and I love it. I love the program, and I love the girls. As I tied the quilt I pondered my own lack of quilting skills and other home art skills. I wondered why my mother and my mother's mother, and her mother before her had so many more skills than I do. Was it necessity? Desire? The times?

In Young Women's we have what is called 'Personal Progress' http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,6885-1,00.html.  It is a goal setting program that helps Young Women develop a testimony of Jesus Christ.  They have certain requirements to complete to develop their testimony and earn their Young Woman Medallion. While visiting the Young Women Resource Room (see previous blog), I was handed a list of 19 out of 373 requirements for a Beehive girl in 1916. I love this:

1916 Beehive Requirements (Originally prepared for June Conference in 1969.  Referenced by President James E. Faust at the May 2000 General Young Woman Meeting (text found in Ensign, May 2000). http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-4-38,00.html

1. Care successfully for a hive of bees for one season and know their habits.
2. Give the distinguishing characteristics of six varieties of hen and cattle and tell the good and weak points of each.
3. Exterminate mosquitoes over an area of one-half-square mile by pouring a little kerosene on the surface of all standing pools of water twice each month during April, May, or June.  Six girls may do this and each receive one award, or one girl can receive six awards.
4. Make two articles of underwear by hand.
5. Cover 25 miles on snowshoe in any six days.
6. Learn to float in the Great Salt Lake and propel yourself 50 feet.
7. During three consecutive months, abstain from candy, ice cream, commercially manufactured beverages, and chewing gum.
8. For one month, masticate your food so thoroughly that it slips down without any visible effort at swallowing it.
9. Care for at least two kerosene lamps daily.
10. For three months take care of milk and cream from at least one cow and see that the pails, pans, strainer, and separator are thoroughly cleansed.
11. During two weeks, keep the house free from flies or destroy at least 25 flies daily.
12. Have your toilet moved to an isolated place in the garden.  Have a frame of chicken wire built about three feet away and plant quick-growing vines such as cucumber or morning glories to screen it from observation.
13.  Whitewash your toilet inside and out.
14. Know and describe three cries of a baby.
15. Without help or advice, care for and harness a team of horses at least five times; drive fifty miles during one season.
16. During two summer months, clean ice chest thoroughly twice a week.
17. Discover ten reasons why the Columbine should be made the national flower.
18. Clear sagebrush off of one-half acre of land.
19. Know six blazes by Indians.

I love this list.  It makes me want to attempt to get my 1916 medallion.
Today, our struggles are more spiritual.  It does not take as much effort to stay alive, but it takes spiritually rugged young women to keep their spirits strong and pure.  Hence, today, we are not required to clear land, or care for a Beehive, but we are required to study, pray, develop our talents, serve, and love.  That is how the Beehive of today gets her Medallion.


Comments

Jensens said…
I am so glad we have such good leaders for our youth. I can't believe that list! I'm really glad we don't have to do that stuff now, but you are right about the spiritual struggles. I worry every day about the children.
Mike & Traci said…
I was in the YW's Presidency when Mike & I were first married & we went over this list as well. Not a single sole wasn't awe strucked at how much the Personal Progress goals had changed to what they were before. You are definatly right, our way of living but we definately have a greater struggle w/ our spiritual side these days! Anyways I know you are a GREAT leader & I am sure the Girl's absolutely love having you!!
Wendy A. Jones said…
Those are awesome! I especially love the one about moving the toilet behind some fast-growing vines.
You are probably the best loved YW leader ever. What a good job for you. I loved working in YW. Enjoy your time with the girls.
The Bears said…
And I thought the Personal Progress Program had changed alot since I was in Y.W. Those were some amazing goals. I love the masticating food till it goes down your throat with no effort. Yummy! But honestly inspired, since digestion is what our bodies use most of its energy on, so if we helped our bodies out by chewing food better, we'd have more energy and heal more quickly. I love that it was in there.
Candice said…
Okay, Sister Bear, I had no idea. I will definitely increase my masticating in order to increase my energy and healing power...you are awesome.
Josh and Amber said…
That 1916 list was crazy. It is funny to look back and think back on those times. It's amazing how the personal progress goals have changed. Definately more on our spiritual struggles these days. I bet the girls just love you!
Melanie said…
I am so glad that they changed the list before I got into Young Womens. That sounded like a tough list. I bet those girls in Young Womens with you just adore you. Who can't adore Adams favorite cousin! I guess I shouldn't say that to loud someone might her it.