The Relief Society Building

Sarah and I took a field trip today to the Relief Society Building.
We took trax.  Luckily for us, trax picks up right by our house, and dropped us off on Main Street and 100 s.  The Relief Society Building is on 76 South and Main Street.  I had no idea that the Church Plaza was considered Main Street.  Luckily some Senior Missionaries pointed us in the right direction.
We had heard that there was a Relief Society Resource Room.  It was more than that; it was also a Primary and Young Women's Resource area, and an inspiration to me.  It was stunning and there was a gentle-womanly-strong feeling there.  How I wish that I had bigger words to encompass how I felt about it.

The women of the Relief Society donated $500,000 for this building, each contributing $5.00 which was a considerable amount of money following WWII.

Below is the Dedicatory Prayer of the Building.  It is a prayer of exquisite sweetness.  It reminds me of what a member of the Relief Society is...
On this memorable occasion, we praise thy name for the organization of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the thousands of loyal, faithful, beautiful women who compose its membership. Their devotion to duty is never-ending; their loyalty to Thee and to Thy Priesthood unquestioned; their administrations to the sick and to the needy, untiring; their sympathetic, gentle services give hope to the dying, comfort and faith to the bereaved (President David O. McKay, October 3, 1956).
I was shocked when I walked into the building.  This picture does not do it justice.  It is lovely.  It has a women's touch-no-a heavenly woman's touch.  It reminded me immediately of the Celestial Room of the temple.


After looking at the beautiful portraits of former Auxiliary Presidents, we went to level G.  This was the resource area.  It was hosted by the sweetest of missionaries.  These missionaries were required to be Stake Auxiliary Presidents in order to serve in the Resource area.  They helped put together resources for anyone serving.  I mostly enjoyed the art and design of the rooms.

Even the hallways were decorated with wonderful handmade art from around the world.  Sarah loved this quilt.
Each room had gorgeous customed made rugs (Below, Sarah is standing on the Primary one). The Primary had commissioned Walter Rain to paint the additional three paintings of the Second Coming for the Primary Children.  I recall that the Primary commissioned an Arnold Frieberg to do some Book of Mormon paintings.  Because of those, I came to the knowledge that Nephi and his family were gi-normous with Michael Landon-like muscles and thick flowing hair.  I love them.  I am so grateful for the Primary.

About three weeks ago, Sarah learned who the Savior is.   I pointed Him out to her in a painting at Church, and immediately, she identified him in every painted scene. I was amazed at how fast she learned. She ran to the paintings of the Savior in the Primary Resource Room.  It was the missionary who looked at her and recognized that she was saying, "Jesus".

When you step out of the elevator on floor 'G' you are met by this QUILT of Joseph Smith's First Vision. This scene is my whole life. There is not one part of my existence that is good or great that is does not come from this vision.

Comments

Becky said…
I didn't even know there WAS a Relief Society Building! Sheesh - I must have been living under a rock or something. I'm gonna have to check out all these cool places next time I'm in Utah visiting my sister. And I'll look you up, too! :)

Oh, and I'm wildly jealous of anyone with access to public transportation. We're still a $4.09/gal and it's starting to get cold enough that bikes don't cut it anymore.
Wendy A. Jones said…
What a fun field trip! Now I want to go there--
The Bears said…
I definitely have to go. I loved your pictures and not a blurry one in the bunch this time!
Josh and Amber said…
I don't think I ever knew about that place. Thanks for sharing the pictures it is gorgeous!
Jensens said…
How FUN! It's so awesome that you get to do these fun little trips and that you make the effort. I am inspired. I love that quilt of the First Vision...WOW! I'm going to have to do some more exploring in my own back yard.
Leslie said…
It's been too long since I have been there...next time I'm in SLC...I'm going. You've inspired me Candice!