Youth Gardens and the Joy of Giving


I had the most amazing experience today. Shane Siwik asked me last night if I would like to help deliver food to refugees in Salt Lake City, UT.
This was not just any food.  This food was planted, grown, and picked by volunteers: mostly 11-18 years old.  And this was not merely a Saturday afternoon of giving.  This was months of blood, sweat, tears, and a lot of planning. Those vegetables were gold.

I had no idea how many refugees there are here. The U.S. sends many refugees to Utah, because the State in addition to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints takes such good care of them. 
My favorite were the Burmese.  They reminded me of those that I served in the Philippines (the women had baby powder on their faces, to make themselves whiter, just like my companions and investigators did).  They were so grateful.
This is my truck full of vegetables that Utah Gardens volunteers had picked that morning and the day before.  They picked over 1, 800 pounds of vegetables.  I had the fun rewarding part.  I got to help deliver it.

Okay, I have a confession to make.  While I was driving to deliver food to a man named Muhammed, I noticed a Victoria's Secret bag of peppers in my driver's seat.  Now, they were not for me, but they were beautiful, and I wanted to try one.

The picture at the very top is the one that I stupidly chose.  

I was totally punished for eating the pepper.  It was the hottest thing that I have ever tasted.  I will never do that again (eat food that is not mine to eat).

This is a picture of the remains of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich that saved my life; at least quenched the fire in my mouth, throat, and stomach.
I feel really humble after this opportunity.  I feel grateful for what I have, joyful that I got to help give, and desirous to do more.  Thank you Chris and Shane and Utah Gardens!

If you would like more information on Utah Gardens or volunteering to grow food for refugees, check out this website: http://www.utahgardens.org/ or email utahgardens@comcast.net.

Comments

Jensens said…
I have been to the gardens, but did not know exactly what they did with the food. That is so great! It truly is amazing how many immigrants there are here. Glad you had that PB&J to help squelch the fire!
Mike & Traci said…
What a neat & humbling experience to have!! It's great to think what awesome service opportunities we have here in Utah!! I guess I need to be better and at doing my part :)
Josh and Amber said…
What a neat experience. And that pepper was probably the prettiest pepper I've ever seen.
Candice said…
Yes, the prettiest pepper of death.