Our Advent Calendar

Having a daughter, and a lot of time on my hands has inspired me to really ponder holidays and what kind of traditions I want to have. I am an avid reader of people like Stephen Covey and Richard Eyre, and I have come to believe that traditions are the glue that hold us together.  I want our family to be held together.  

This is my first advent calendar.
My family had a homemade felt one with 25 velcroed Christmas ornaments that hung in our kitchen.  I loved it.
While reading "Wondertime" magazine, I came across an advent tradition.  Instead of merely winning a piece of candy while opening the door, you pull out a slip of paper.  On the paper is written  something like "Deliver cookies to Claudia", "Write a letter to Grandpas", or "Call Aunt Jaclyn".  Oh, yes, I had some leftover truffle mint kisses, so I added some of those too.
And of course, the advent calendar is monogrammed.  Go Gautchers! (Sorry about the night vision shake).

Comments

Melanie said…
I love the advent calendar. We always had one in my family. I couldn't wait to get up in the morning so I could move it. Thats a great tradition.

I loved the Twlight movie. I don't like to read to much, so it was never top on my list of things to do. Everyone I know except my Mom and I are the only ones that haven't read it. Wait my Mom just finished it like yesterday and she went to the movie tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Did you come up to your parents for Thanksgiving? Adam would probably like to come see ya if you are.
Melanie said…
Thats what we are doing also. Just the 5 of us. Adam has been in Colorado so it will be good to just have time together. Bonding time is always good for us since we don't get to see Adam very often.
Jensens said…
We always had an advent calendar, too. They are so much fun! There are so many varieties, I think we've had one of each. Another fond memory is the paper chain, taking one link off every day was the best! Traditions are essential, in my opinion.
Becky said…
I want one!! Isn't it fun to combine traditions from two separate families and come up with your own traditions?

I am waiting for a copy of Sarah Palin's bio from our library. Even though we haven't lived here long, I feel like I should be an expert or something, so I gotta brush up! :)
Lauren Dyer said…
I love advent calendars! Maybe we'll have one next year.
Annette said…
I love your advent calender & I love the idea of it having different things to do during the HOlidays. Traditions are great, keep them up. HOpe you have a great Thanksgiving and a wonderful week-end.
You remind me of me with what you said about traditions. {View my Christmas traditions post http://completeleeblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/mama-rikas-family-christmas-traditions.html}

That is a completely amazing advent house!! I love it! I also love the service idea to go with that. That tradition will be great for your family every year.
Anonymous said…
Very cool. Thank goodness the Gautchers decided they didn't like it, eh?

Wendy