An overview of our trip to Idaho

From December 11 through December 19 Sarah and I, with intermittent visits from Dad/Drew Rail stayed with our family in Idaho.

This is Dad/Grandad/Papa Bagley.  When Brandi and I were very small, he made us a rocking chair.  We still have it, and it is coveted by all of the children and grandchildren.  As we talked about it, Dad got inspired to make five new chairs for his grandchildren.  With classic Dad style, he did not procrastinate his idea until the next day.  He immediately grabbed the little rocker, some sketching paper, and began to make an outline.
As explained in a previous post, all of Mom and Dad's children save one, is born in December.  This year we had a joint birthday party.

As is customary in many families, Mom would treat us to our favorite dinner.  The most requested birthday dinner was sweet and sour chicken with Chinese rice.  Hence, for the first annual joint sibling birthday party, we had to include these favorites on the menu.

Of course, we serve the grandchildren first.  Thankfully the adults have a seperate dining room with a view of the children.  
After dinner, we gathered around the Christmas tree for a gift exchange.


Sarah got a personalized pillow from Aunt Jaclyn.
As a side note, Dad showed us Grandma Bagley's clock which he had inherited.  We also got to see the famous silver tea set, and we discussed Dad's silver coin collection which was hid in various cavities of our home growing up.  Tonight, we also learned where his safe code is written, just in case.  I cannot remember exactly where it is as I write this, but if worse comes to worse, I could probably make my way in A-la "The Italian Job".
The children gave Mom a new nativity.  She is a collector and connoisseur.



On December 15, we were treated to a night of dance.

Below is Lleida, Jaclyn's oldest in her costume.

The night starred: Aunt Jaclyn, cousins Lleida, Elayna, and Anna.  It was also neat to see many friends who had met in the Rexburg Tabernacle to see their own children and grandchildren.  I love Rexburgians.  They are good kind of people.

It was a magical soft snowy night. This is Mom and Aunt Trini Bug outside of the Tabernacle.
My sisters and I are all dancers (in my case, mostly in my heart).  It is our favorite activity.  We are a dancin' family.

The best part of dance reviews are the costumes.  My Mom still has our costumes from 30 years ago.  They are staples for dress up.

Jaclyn also performed.  She is an amazing dancer.  She has actually gotten better through the years.  At 30 years old, she can do some pretty astounding moves.

I love that she decided to take dancing lessons again in her 3rd decade.  You inspire me, Jac.
I love the Rexburg Tabernacle.  My husband, who went to Ricks College, did not realize that Rexburg had a Tabernacle.  It currently houses the Teton Flood Museum, and is used for events such as this.  I do not think that the LDS Church owns it anymore, yet the woodwork and stained windows still speak of its origins.
Our ballerina, Elayna Lofgran.  You inspired me to enroll Sarah in ballet.  You were lovely.
Dad's workshop.  This is the day I went to Dad's shop to mostly watch him create the rocking chairs.
Gran and Super Teik (Katrina's youngest).  It was one of the last pictures that I took before I departed to Utah during a snowstorm at 5:00 a.m. on my birthday.
Happy Birthday Season 2008.  I was glad to spend it with my beloved family.

Comments

The Bears said…
I wish we had a wood-crafter in the family. My mom made me a wooden rockinghorse when I was a child... maybe I can convince her to come out of retirement. I'm glad you were able to celebrate with family.
Jensens said…
Family is so great! That's wonderful that you were able to spend that time with them. I love going on our trips to Idaho and spending them with family. Even doing the everyday things seem special when you're with family you don't get to be with all of the time. I'm also glad you got back safely, driving that drive in the snow is NOT fun.
Anonymous said…
What a great trip! I love the Tabernacle; I don't think I've ever noticed the LDS in those windows before.

Wendy
Josh and Amber said…
Every time you post pics of your family together, it makes me miss you all. It's been so long, I practically don't know half of your family now. It makes me sad!