We love Elder Wirthlin: Andrew's Email

Hi Sweety,
 
The tree looked great last night.  I loved how you were able to do it with very few decorations.  Elegant indeed.
 
Elder Wirthlin died last night.  Elder Eyring was the junior apostle for over nine years.  And in four years, he has gone from number 15 to number 10.  It is just that they seemed to have been together for so long, and now so many have passed on in a short amount of time.  Since 2004, Elder Maxwell, Elder Haight, President Faust, President Hinckley, and Elder Wirthlin have all passed away.
 
I remember how as a missionary I struggled with Elder Wirthlin's talks.  Then I grew to love him.  I wept during his conference address in April of this year as Elder Nelson held him up.  Elder Withlin's address was powerful, but even more so was this display of love, unity, endurance, and compassion.  It is a talk I will never forget.
 
Is it more important to be a champion for the world, or a champion for your mother?  Elder Wirthlin answered that question in Priesthood in his football talk in April 2007.

I love you.
 
Drew

Comments

Becky said…
Wow. 15 to 10 - sad. But also exciting, because we get to see these new men in action.
Lorin and Liza said…
We will miss him. Jenna called me and reminded me of his talk this last conference on being able to laugh at ourselves. What a great man. Another will now step up.
The Bears said…
I just found out tonight at my Primary meeting. I was the first one there and so I was looking at the pictures of the Apostles on the wall and stopped at Elder Wirthlin's pic and thought to myself (because of his talk last April), I wonder how he is doing and then 15 minutes later I was informed he died. I guess that means he's doing wonderful.

I loved his talk in April too. I was watching it on TV and my husband (who isn't LDS) was playing on the computer in the same room. I guess he heard him struggling and was drawn in by the spirit. He watched the whole talk and when Elder Wirthlin finished, he said... Wow. He's amazing. Elder Wirthlin gets the honor of being my husband's first conference talk, but hopefully not his last.
Christy Dyer said…
Drew, we love to read about you and your family. You are thoughtful and kind to your wife and daughter. You have great depth in your life. Uncle Dan and Aunt Christy