80% of life is...

I want to put a plug in for "showing up/being there".

Several months ago, our choir director, with happy tears in his eyes, thanked us for our sacrifice; he thanked us for just being there. He then said something which I have pondered since: "80% of Church is just showing up". It sounded so harsh, but as I pondered it, it made sense. He was so grateful that we showed up, and we have an awesome choir because so many members 'showed up' every week.

I love having a calling. I always have. However, there is a certain calling which I have never had, which I secretly (now, not so secretly) dread:

Nursery Leader

Blessedly, we have an awesome Nursery Leader in our ward, who I will honor forever for her diligence. She is always there-early(she gets the 80% blessings with a heaping dollop of early blessings), brings her own sippy cups and a snack, and prepares her lesson every week from the new manual. I will love her 'til I die for what she has done for Sarah. I will love her 'til I die and a little after that, because she is always there.

Working parents have always stressed 'quality time' with children, especially when there is not much time for them to spend. "At least the time we spend is quality time". That is good, but...

I have heard new studies where children mostly need Time: lots of time. I wonder sometimes if being there/showing up, is not 80% of parenting. The rest just falls into place (with 20% of blood, sweat, and tears, of course). That is my salute to all of you Mommies who are with your children all day every day. Statistically, just being there a lot is most of the battle.

I am in the Young Women's Program in our Ward. Again, I would like to testify of the power of just 'showing up' to mutual...every week. Everything else falls into place. Our hard girls have become soft and beautiful as they attend all of the meetings and activities.

Other places to show up: the Temple, Sacrament Meeting...getting there is ALL of the battle.

80% of life is just showing up. I think that this might be true.

Comments

The Bears said…
Very true. The showing up is the hard part. Once you get where you're going, it is usually sweet and enjoyable. The Devil knows this, so he has to make the getting there hard. Yay for showing up!
Josh and Amber said…
Nice deep thought you shared. Because it is so true. "Showing up" is the hard part, like your friend said. Also, congrats on your calling! You'll be great!
Anonymous said…
I would LOVE to be nursery leader. But I would hate to be Gospel Doctrine teacher. Does that say something about my spirituality?

Wendy
Candice said…
I believe that you are more spiritual because of that.

In Nursery, Primary, and Young Men/Womens you mold and change lives before they make mistakes.

By the time they hit Gospel Doctrine, the mold is nearly set.

Again, we need the good people with the Nursery. That is where eternities are determined.