If I had a Book Club

I have not been in a book club for years.  Not for lack of desire.  We just do not have one in our ward (which I admit has always been the nucleus of my social life wherever we move).

But, a comment by my Aunt Christy about what books I would choose if I were in a club led me to a little introspection.

So, if I had a book club, I might recommend the following list:

Uncle Tom's Cabin (not many people have actually read this book, which, at the time was second to the Bible in readership.  It is the page turner which started the war between the states)

Atlas Shrugged (A little extreme and godless, but it is capitalism in its purity)

Enchanted (from the writer of Ender's Game.  It is a new twist on sleeping beauty)

The Blessing of a Skinned Knee (Using Jewish Tradition to raise self-reliant children)

The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency

The Autobiography of Ben Franklin (it created American Values that we still have today...which I did not notice until I lived in a communist country)

A Swiftly Tilting Planet (my favorite in the trilogy that began with the Newberry winning, "A Wrinkle in Time")

The Color Code (A simple personality profile.  It helped me understand myself and those I loved the most)

Ballet Shoes (optional-along the lines of A Little Princess but not as good.  Three little girls become orphans and are brought together in a house of kind and understanding adults)

Rich Dad Poor Dad-An interesting discussion.  I don't believe in living a leveraged life, but it helps you understand how rich people think.  Maybe a better book would be The Millionaire Mind.

I would choose these books because I loved some of them, some of them changed the world, and I have read and own all of them, so there is no pressure about finishing a book before the meeting.

Comments

Becky said…
You should start your own book club - I bet there are other people out there longing for one as well! Our Enrichment leader came to me last year and said, "I was told that you'd be the one to come to if we wanted to get a book club started." So I did and I (we) love it.

And it's great to have some suggestions for what to read next!
Andrew said…
You are right. I will start a book club. I love books and I love clubs (the awesome women). It is a fit.
Kara said…
Sorry you don't have a club, but thanks for the recommendations. We are always looking for good books for the one in our ward. Uncle Tom’s Cabin was a GREAT discussion, but No.1 Ladies Detective Agency not so much. I am going to take a look at Ballet Shoes.
Anonymous said…
I've read a few of those, and I'll be sure to check out the others. Thanks for the recommendations.

Wendy
Annette said…
I have a lot to catch up on, I have not read any of these books.
Jensens said…
We are looking for people to head up enrichment groups. We have a tough time getting people to be in charge of the enrichment groups, so they fizzle out or don't exist. You are SO welcome to head up a book club. That would be awesome! Sister Lowery is our enrichment leader. I will let her know you are interested, as she is starting to get groups together again. We did an enrichment survey on Sunday, so make sure you get one next Sunday and fill it out.
Candice said…
I am so there, Sister Jensen.
Candice said…
I am also reading "The Chosen" right now, and I am going to include it too.
The Bears said…
I'm not in your ward anymore, but I would be in your bookclub. My friends in Montanna recently started one and I have been jealous that I cannot attend their meetings. I was going to read all their books before them and spoil the endings, but maybe I should just join your bookclub instead.
Courtney said…
Love this post and all the books in it! Now that's a tag I'd go for!