My surprise: a dog

Andrew had a surprise for me last night.  I was surprised that he had a surprise, because after eight years of marriage he has learned several things.  One of which is that I hate surprises.

I wonder if he just did not want to tell me for fear I might reject his surprise.

It was a dog.

Now, I am not a dog person.  I do not know how to care for a dog, and the thought of a dog inside my house petrifies me.  I wonder if petrify is a strong word.  No, it is not.

We had dogs growing up.  My Dad is a dog man, and he took one of our dogs everywhere he went.  Even flying.  It was a flying dog.

However subsequent dogs did not travel with Dad.  My mother would have rather died than let an animal in the house, so they were outside animals.  Is 'rather died' too strong of a term?  No.  But we had, and still have, cats and dogs (now just cats) at my parent's house.  They just stay outside, and do not have names.

I worried, though, that the animals of our youth would be at our Judgement Bar (you know on Judgement Day).  I feared that they would testify against our family and the Celestial Kingdom would be of limits for the Bagleys.  We never abused the animals.  We just did not love them like I thought that they should be loved.  My sisters and brother were not dog people either.

Our potential dog (my surprise) has not come home yet.  It is still at the shelter.  Andrew is going to try to pick it up today.

I gave in.  If Andrew wants a dog, I will try to survive.  Yes, I love Drew that much.  That is a strong kind of love. 

Comments

Lauren Dyer said…
Shane had to give in on the dog thing for me, and now he loves her. I hope you have similar experience.
The Bears said…
I bet you will love it. Just remember patience is a virtue and without it all the other virtues (love) are harder to practice.
Andrew said…
It is not MY dog, it is Sarah's!

Pictures coming soon!
Anonymous said…
I haven't relented yet on my family's wish for a dog, but it's mostly because I'm lazy.

I'm sure you'll love it--eventually. Congratulations!

Wendy
Dan said…
Candice, you are the next dog whisperer.
Jon + Kat said…
I won't give in to having an inside dog even though Jon keeps insisting I would love one. On the flip side, I'm sure you will love the dog--it'll be like having another child. I hope it's potty trained! Good luck!
Jensens said…
We always had dogs growing up, but they were always outside dogs, and I personally did not interact with them much. I did not want a dog like that. Doug finally talked me into a dog, but it had to meet several requirements, such as it had to be an inside dog (I just can't stand seeing outside dogs, I feel bad for them). It had to be a short hair and good with kids, and small to medium in size. Doug was also responsible for training the dog. We found one - a Boston Terrier. The kids and Doug love her. I tolerate her. I am usually the one that lets her out, feeds her, and gives her water. The rest of my family gives her the cuddles and play time. It was a good compromise.
Annette said…
I love dogs..we always had dogs growing up and they were allowed in the house. In fact, I think if you have a dog it needs to become part of the family. That includes discipline and manners....Good luck and enjoy your new addition. But remember they are just like having another child. I don't have a dog..maybe someday. But right now we have two cats and that is enough..they are my children's cats, but guess who they come to for water, food, and loving...not them...me...But that is okay, because I love them too. (except for their fur that is everywhere). Enjoy your the new member of your family and I know the real truth it is ANDREW'S dog. But don't tell him...I know the truth..
squiresclan said…
I think you'll like having a dog :) I don't know if you've seen my blog lately but we just got a new puppy to join our other dog. And most definately if your new dog is a pup it is like having another child, they may test your patience and get into things you wish they'd stay out of, but just like a small child when they stare at you with them big puppy eyes and come snuggle up you can't help but love em! House dogs are different from outside dogs, the extra attention and family time (least in my experience) usually makes a more calm loving animal that will be loyal to you through good and bad, and like children over time they can be trained to stay out of things..eventually. good luck and can't wait to see the pics!!
Candice said…
Thank you Jenn for the words of comfort. I have tried to look at your blog lately, but I have been blocked. If you have time, email me an invite, so that I can see your puppy and you.
Jordan Page said…
We're here for you...we're pretty much experts at this point! And yes, they are so worth it...give it time :)
Brandi said…
I can't believe you're letting Andrew get a house dog! Now not only will you have to clean up after Sarah, but the dog as well! UCK! Steve really wants a dog but I'm so glad he agrees with me that animals belong outside.Good luck dear.I don't think I could/would do it. Me and animals are just not friends.
Christy Dyer said…
Candice, how well I know about not having dogs in the house! We grew up on a ranch where dogs, cats, and other animals housed in the barn. So when Lauren and Shane first got their dog...albeit a "house" dog I wondered if I could welcome it into more than our garage. Well, we have all enjoyed Lucy very much and she is pretty well behaved and enjoyed by the grandchildren especially.
Shane D. said…
Its true i was less then a dog person (understated) and now I would say that I have become a dog person. I love our dog... and she inturn would follow me off a cliff. They are so loyal, and I see no other purpose for there existence but to be mans companion. The are essentially a God made man friend for anyone who wants one.