Why we eat Lucky Charms

Why do we eat Lucky Charms?  

When I went to BYU, I experienced a great freedom.  It was partly manifest in two words: Lucky Charms.  Of course coming from a good home, I was denied  my Lucky Charm fixation unless I went camping with my grandparents.

This made the cereal all the more special.

At BYU, on the meal plan, one had access to an unlimited supply of Lucky Charms (a.k.a. Marshmallow Mateys).  It was a little bit of my heaven.

I, and  my classmates would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  It came out of a cereal spout, and my best friend, Lezlie, taught me how to pour it to get the highest crunchy marshmallow ratio.

I, being a pushover Mom, introduced Lucky Charms disguised as Marshmallow Mateys to Sarah this week.  She did not even have to ask.  She just put it into my cart (along with an avocado some raisins, and animal crackers) and I let it slide.

Today at breakfast, I gave her some.  With cereal left in her bowl, she signaled that she wanted something else.  I could not figure out what it was, until I examined the bowl more closely.  The marshmallows were gone.  

She has learned, as we all do, that Marshmallow Mateys are for the marshmallows.  Smart girl.  Bad Mom, but smart girl. 

Comments

Dan said…
I like to eat just the cereal part and leave all the marshmallows until only they were left. Then eat them in big marshmallowey spoonfuls. So good.
Candice said…
Brilliant. Why didn't I think of that? The sugar headache is a small price to pay for bliss.
Mike & Traci said…
Hahaha! I did the same thing your friend Dan did! I tried my best to leave the bowl full of marshmellows then every bite was filled with the sweet tenderness you could only get from Lucky Charms :)

I loved this post!! So much fun!!
Becky said…
I guess I've missed a vital part of life. We never ate sugary cereals growing up and now that I'm an adult, I just don't like them.

I'm glad Sarah knows the proper way to eat cereal, though! :)
Anonymous said…
My kids have always been the same way: marshmallows first. Those people that eat the cereal first have a lot of self-control.

Wendy
Ben and Shara said…
Marshmallow mateys have a special place in my heart as well. They only came into my life my freeman year at Ricks. Why are they so good?

What is funny is I tried the Lucky Charms version with my kids and they love it, so I figured any marshmallowy's goodness would work and bought the Barbie marshmallows, and I ended up throwing them away because no one would eat them. Go figure.

p.s. I went back through your older posts and just watched Jaclyn do her dance. She is great!
squiresclan said…
lol i'm with traci and dan, eat up the cereal so ya get big spoonfulls of marshmellows!! my kids though are definately marshmellow first eaters and lucky charms or marshmello mateys are definately a fav in the house!