The Bluebird

I am very proud of my Gran, Rosa Vivian Call.  She was a lady.  I know this partly because her daughters are ladies.  The other part lies in the lore of our family. 

Among her many accomplishments, she went to Utah State University.  According to my knowledge of history, it is a pretty neat thing when your grandmother goes to university.  It is even neater when she went during the Great Depression.

I have heard that this is not her favorite picture.  I do not know why.  Usually, women LOVE pictures of themselves in bathing suits.

I can tell that she was a loved grandmother: because in her plentiful female posterity, several upon several granddaughters carry at least part of her name.  I think that we honor her that way.

I had a chance to think of her while we were in Logan during the Easter weekend.  While driving down the main street towards the temple, I saw this.
I remembered hearing that she worked in a place that had the word, 'Blue' in it.  I thought, 'this HAS to be it'.  The 'since 1914' gave me great hopes that I had hit upon the historic spot.
It is still a popular place with amazing comfort food.  It has been on national tv, featuring their malts, which are still a tradition for youth to feast upon after dances, or following baptisms.
I wondered if, when I am gone, my daughters and granddaughters might make pilgrimages to places that I had frequented or worked.  I hope so.

Comments

What a fun bit of family history! I would love it if children visited places I had lived or worked too... but maybe not posted pics of me in a bathing suit! grin...
Shannon said…
Wow, what a neat lady and cool diner ... I'm wondering if she's related to Mitch's grandma who was also a "Call." I think they come from the Anson Call line.

And what woman doesn't just love looking at herself in a bathing suit?
Candice said…
We are totally related! If you need anything, cousin, let me know;).
jennaloha said…
An interesting concept: my grandchildren sitting in the isle of the Walmart shoe department hugging an insole, saying, "Just think, Grandma stocked supplies just like these during the 1900s!"
The Bears said…
When I saw the title of your post, I was hoping The Bluebird in Logan was going to be included. You did not disappoint. I love The Bluebird. I love most things associated with Cache Valley and USU, but especially the Bluebird. If your Gran worked there, she must have been cool. It's actually a requirement to work there.
Candice said…
I love that concept, Jenna. My posterity will be hugging the horsey sauce at Arby's by Walmart (a one month stint), kissing the surviving king snakes at the Bean Life Science Museum (they die periodically from runaway pianos), and making key chains that look like license plates in a storage unit in Provo (a 3 week venture). Not as cool as the Bluebird, but cool nonetheless.

Oh, yes, maybe they can tour the Plasma Center in Provo, where I spent many fine hours and viewed my first Rocky movie.
Andrew said…
My tombstone shall read:

Here lies Andrew Rail

The only Mormon not directly related to Anson Call.
Leslie said…
I love love love connecting with my family history. It is so wonderful!
Christy Dyer said…
Candice, Aunt Liza and I are reading your blog together tonight in Sacramento. We love that you connected with Gran at the Bluebird. I love that you got a picture of it. I have never been in, but my children have.

Aunt Liza and I are trying to become Aunt Gladys and Aunt Ruth also legends in our family. We are doing a pilgrimage to Sacto in their honor, but we don't know where they ate!

We love that you are such a Bagley/Call and tell Andrew we send condolences that he is the only one on the planet not directly related to Anson!
Candice said…
Andrew, it is probably good that I did not marry my cousin...So on your tombstone it would read, "Here lies Andrew Rail, the only Mormon not related to Anson Call, therefore, I could marry Candice."