Lleida and the Leper

This is just a post for history's sake. I began the July 4 holiday weekend with a raging eye infection. I was so embarrassed. I guess that I always placed eye infection in the same category as lice or leprosy. I was unclean.

Yes, I felt like a leper.

I got it the day that we were asked to give a fireside. At the last moment, I decided NOT to back out. I looked horrible. I donned huge cheap sunglasses over my glasses, wrapped a bandage around my head to keep my eye closed and infection from others, and did not do hair or makeup.


I talked about Zion.
The church is still true...hopefully.

I made it to Idaho with my Rocky-esque eye, and my Mom took me to the doctor. Mom's are great that way. Even at 34, I need my Mother to send me to the doctor. It made a huge difference.

While I was at the doctor my niece, Llieda (pronounced Jayda)arrived to get a cast for her broken wrist...an awesome shock pink cast. She let me watch (I had secretly wanted a cast as a child, and tried to break my own leg once. It did not work). She also let me sign it.

Thank you Lleida for being my clinic buddy, for letting me sign your cast, and for choosing pink. I would have chosen the same color. You rock.

Thank you, Mom for sending me to the doctor. Antibiotics are true.

Comments

Christy Dyer said…
You are such a trouper! You could have crossed the plains with a handcart!
The Bears said…
Your picture rocks! I'm so glad you didn't back out. My brother broke his leg when he was 25. He also got a pink cast and it was a HUGE hit with the ladies. I told him it wouldn't work, but I was so wrong. Girls just kept flocking to it and signing it with their phone numbers.
That picture of you doing one eyed pirate thing is great! I promise your posterity will always be glad you posted that photo!!!
Shane D. said…
I love die hards!
B and C said…
Wow I didn't even know. What is it about you and a travesty happening the day you give a fireside. Next you you have to give brace yourself before hand for something major to go wrong. Well things looked better on Sunday so the antibiotics seem to be working.
jennaloha said…
When Blake baptized our daughter he also had a disgusting eye infection that 2 doctors had prescribed stuff for that wasn't working. The third dr, an actual eye doctor, recognized it as virile, and something antibiotics wouldn't heal. So the whole weekend with family over and at the baptism he had either a pirate eye patch or a goupy eye. We commiserate.
Annette said…
Breaking a bone is no fun. I used to wish for a broken bone when I was younger, wanted a cast for everyone to sign (thought it would be so cool) I had two broken bones last year within three months of each other and they didn't even give me a cast for people to sign. When I broke my foot, Callie said, "No Fair, I always wanted to break my foot". I think she changed her mind after watching me deal with mine. As for the eye, I hope it is better now. I am glad you still listen to your mother.
Shannon said…
Candice, you are awesome. I wish I could have seen the sunglasses!
Mrs. Olsen said…
Let me guess? You reminisced Joseph Smith's prompt church attendance the day after getting tarred and feathered...and ensured no sickness, infection, or virus would keep us from church ever again ;)?

You are a trooper woman!