Sarah's third!

Today, on your birthday, we had a 5.0 earthquake (which only Gran Bagley felt), and Dad made his first ever ice cream cake. He wants to make it a tradition. It is not the most beautiful cake in the world (we had a difficult time with the frosting), but ne'er was a cake made with such love, and it was super delicious.

Sarah placed her own candles (I wrote that for pride's sake, just in case you thought that I had some kind of candle deficiency...Frosting deficiency, yes, but I can usually place a candle).
Sarah took this picture of Gran and I. I love the truth of it. Yes, that is my lumpy 35 week belly in its entirety, and from a really amazing point of view. It was never just round. I considered cropping the picture, but then thought it better to be honest.

Granny and Papa Rail also drove in for the occasion. Birthdays just are not birthdays without Grandmas and Grandpas. Sarah's third was perfect, because we had loving grandparents. She was in Sarah bliss.
Sarah feeding ice cream cake to her new 'Pony Tail'.
Gran Bagley drove in from Idaho specifically to take Sarah to "Build a Bear". Sarah could choose any bear she wanted, and have him hand stuffed.
She chose a horse with long, silky hair, a bow, and golden hooves (we laughed and laughed).
I thought she might be disturbed at the stuffing process, but she took it in stride.
She loved giving it an air shower.
Thank you Grandma and Grandpa Rail, and Grandma Bagley for coming and celebrating Sarah's third birthday with us (at no small sacrifice). You made it wonderful. I was in Mom heaven today, thanks to you.

Dear Sarah,

How we love you. Life was not as joyful when you were not here (we thought we had a lot of joy, but really did not know what we were talking about. Now, because of you, we are infinitely closer to understanding the meaning of JOY). You bound Dad and I together with strong, spiritual, Sarah cords. Our marriage is stronger because you are a part of us. We hate being away from you, even for an hour. Because of you, we know a little bit what heaven is like.

Today is your 3rd birthday, and I have to let you know what you are like right now. You have no fear. You love to jump, climb, jump and climb...oh, and climb things and then jump off. You can jump on one foot, and will be an awesome soccer player. You love to ride your bike. You love to play with other children, especially running games. You love your cousins the most. You love to read. You love animals, and are intuitively gentle with them. You love baby brother, who has not even been born yet. You will be an awesome big sister.

You still love your belly button. Every night before you go to sleep you have Dad sing, "Jesus Came" a.k.a. the Baptism song. You love to sing and play the piano. Your favorite show is "Super Why", and thanks to Super Why, you know all of your letters.

You are joy to me.

Comments

The Bears said…
Happy Birthday Sarah.... Build a Bear looks like such fun. I can't wait to take River there someday. Sarah is so beautiful. I love her spirit and miss seeing her at church. Sommetimes I would watch her up at the front instead of the speakers. She was always entertaining.
Steve Lofgran said…
I'm up here at Davis, and I didn't feel the earthquake either
Jensens said…
Happy Birthday Sarah! We have grandparents that travel from Idaho for birthdays, too. It's wonderful!
Valerie said…
What a sweet little girl!! My Alyssa is turning 3 next month. Isn't it a fantastic age?!