Chinese New Year

I cannot describe the weekend I had with my cousins. A joyful time. A sacred time.

In my mind, 'cousin' is the world's best word. Probably because of the ones that I have.

Cousin Sheralee (on the end) put together a road trip to get to Aunt Julie's Chinese New Year party in Driggs, Idaho. I am positive that there were more people there who, while busy beyond the veil, could not resist a Bagley get-together. We could not resist either.

The five of us laughed and talked (oh, how I love these activities), and felt an amazing strength of spirit. These are good and wise and joyful people. I recognize them for they are like me (I being on the lesser end of the good and wise). We were raised by the same people. Extraordinary people.
We got to visit Uncle Terry, who we are praying out of the hospital. Me especially, for he is my Dad's great friend, and business partner. Life is just better with him around.

And the party. Aunt Julie and Uncle John served a mission in Singapore/Borneo (I hope I have that right). Here are two of their children. Good looking and funny.

I loved hearing stories from these two. I have known cousin Julie (the blonde in back) my whole life, but it is only on this trip that I heard about how she: Gave Danny Kay a ride in her new car in Las Vegas, played shuffleboard with Charlton Heston every morning after Italian lessons on her high school trip to Europe with her mother, ate dinner and chatted with Grace Kelly at the captain's table on the maiden voyage of the Leonardo De Vinci, and watched her mother be bridge partners with Omar Sharif.

My cousins also married great people. We exclaimed over and over how glad we were that they married such wonderful people. I would die to have a Sarah and Stephanie live close to me. Instead they chose the perfection of Driggs.
I wanted to be a better person around all of them and I learned how.

Aunt Julie is really as gracious and lovely as all of the family folklore says. I could talk with her and be in her presence forever.


We stayed the night with the keeper of family relics, beautiful Aunt Liza, just across the state line in Wyoming.
She showed us dresses we had only seen pictures of, gave us a glimpse of Gran's wedding band, on the fingers that Gran married Grandad for,
and let us hear voices of our past, which felt very much the present. Time came together with her.
Sorry about the out of order pictures. These are back at Aunt Julie's.

This is the pedestal I broke. I thought that I was finally old enough to hang out in Aunt Julie's beautiful home. I was wrong. I hope that they were not attached. Or that the matching one the balanced the table did not necessarily need its partner.
For breakfast, Aunt Liza used Gran's Rose China. It was so beautiful. I am sure Gran was there with her China to share in the fun and stories.
I love these mountains. I have never met a family who has a better view out their kitchen window. It helps that their family claimed the spot over 100 years ago.
I am so grateful for this family. I cannot believe that I was born into it. I am so glad that I was.

Comments

Miss K$ said…
YAY! I have been waiting for you to blog so i could steal the pics. WHAT A BLAST!
Christy Dyer said…
Aunt Julie had the nicest compliment for you. She says that you have a great spiritual maturity and a sweet sincerity that sccompanies it.
Ben and Shara said…
lovely. I had such a great weekend. The best. I can't wait to do it again. Thank you dear cousin for your goodness. I love listening to you. You are full of wisdom and love for all.
Stephanie said…
Love the pictures! Loved having you all close for a moment. I truly love Ty's family. (I guess you're all mine now!)

Love,
Steph