Winter in our living room

It is winter in Rexburg. I am really happy and I love it, but with a nearly newborn, we spend more time inside than we ever have...ever.

I noticed as I was downloading the few pictures that I took this month that the theme was, 'what to do within the confines of the living room'.

If you look closely, Steele has also been experimenting with improving his winter looks.  Yes, that is my mascara and lipstick on his face.  His experiment turned out almost as good as my DIY haircut below.
One of our winter days, I attempted taking a soothing bath.  This does not happen as often as it should.  Of course, as I lowered myself into the perfectly warm tub, the baby woke up.  So I ran to the baby.

And fell asleep soothing the baby.  Sarah knocked on the door and told me that Steele was in the water-filled tub, with all of his clothes on (and a two ton water-filled diaper).  And my makeup.  What is it with boys and makeup?  They should intrinsically know that it is not for them, right?

I had just been reading Elder Nelson's biography and it described his perfect wife, mother of 10 children, all boys except for 9.  They all testified that she never got upset.

So, I thought, "What would Dantzel do?"  And I did that.  That has been my theme this winter, "What would Dantzel do?"  I have been a great Mom in those moments.
This is us playing in our 'clubhouse'.  I love that a blanket can be a 'clubhouse'.  I love that children do not have to have any toys, and they can imagine the most normal of items to be whatever they want.  That is my excuse for not buying my children many toys.  It is good for their imaginations, right?

We have also, for the first time, invested in cable T.V. which I have been vehemently against as a waste of time and money.  But in cruel Rexburg winters, Disney Junior has been a lifesaver.  Thank you, Walt.
We also spend hours of our time smiling at the baby.  With Steele, we try to teach him to 'give the baby space' but mostly he just gives him too many kisses.  Yes, there is such a thing as too many kisses when they come from an over-loving two-year-old.

I hate this unflattering picture of me, but I put it here for a reason.  One Saturday morning, Andrew took the two older kids and I had free time.  Indoor free time.  So I tried to cut my own hair.  I wanted to look like Farah Fawcett in the new millenium.  It did not work at all.  And as I examined the pictures closely, all I could see was really bloodshot eyes due to my baby's sleeping schedule.  Love it.

Oh, and this is Steele, with Sarah's 'cowgirl hat'.  It became such when she put a ribbon on it.  He is being Woody.  I am glad that he does not know that cowboys do not usually wear pink satin ribbons.  Only because it makes life easier for me. 
We are really happy and really blessed and really excited for summer.

Comments

The Bears said…
I feel you on the indoor time. I tried really hard to have a May baby for just this reason. Also, we are working really hard with River to give Ash space as well. It sounds like we are living really similar lives right now.
Kim and Preston said…
I love your hair...You are talented. Your family is so adorable. Sure do miss yall.
The blanket clubhouse ROCKS! I agree, kids need very little to be happy. Siblings as playmates are the best!

Love that photo of PK - he looks like he is the happiest of all with his arm in the air giving his mom a huge HOO-RAY for all the loves and hugs, and survinng all the extra kisses from big brother.

You are so brave to put scissor to your own hair! I wish I had some self hair cutting skills. Haven't seen it that long in many years - you can pull off the short and long look, lucky gal. And you always look great to me, so next time we're together you have to teach me how to cut my own hair!

Luv ya!