Greater Need, Greater Love

Young Women Slumber Party!
Andrew and the girls. Andrew teaches most of these girls in Sunday School, and he came over to join in the fesitivities. He was quite the star. The Young Women leaders are in the picture too, but you can barely tell the difference between them and the girls.
I love these girls so much.
I have been in Young Women Presidencies before, but in more affluent areas with strong families. My current girls are not affluent and most of their families are the antithesis of strong. While I loved my girls in Virginia, I am loving my current girls a little more. They bring me a little more joy.
I remember teaching Seminary in Springville, UT. The teacher before me had struggled with the class, so they sent me in. The youth from Springville came from more difficult situations than most youth in Utah Valley. I loved my Springville 'Red Devils' (their mascot), and we had great times together.
I was then transferred to Orem High, in Orem, UT. These kids had parents who where BYU professors, and CES teachers. They knew the spirit, and loved the scriptures. They did not need me as much, and while I was endowed with the spirit, it was not in quite the amounts that I was blessed with, with my Springville youth.
I was an EFY counselor for several years counseling mostly youth who wanted to be in a spiritual, fun, environment, and then spent a single summer with the at-risk youth of a survival program called Anasazi Foundation. For some reason, maybe because of their need, or because of an extra endowment of the spirit, I loved those troubled youth more than my good EFY'ers. When I saw a girl from Anasazi off the trail, the reunion was so much sweeter than my regular youth reunions with the thousands that I have worked with through the years.
Anyway, I am grateful for the increased spirit and love that I feel with my darling Young Women of the Harmony Park Ward, Granite Park Stake, who need more, but because of that need, I become more, and love more. That is definitely good stuff.

Comments

Alanna said…
I love serving with you! Thats awesome that you guys had a sleep over. You say I'm so good with the girls you are so great! But, it's true we do fit right in with them and thats what they need. Thanks for sharing your history with serving you are so fun!
Alanna said…
I will checking in on your blog often it's so fun.
Alanna said…
I'm so sorry I'm commenting on this post again but I just wanted to tell you to go back to your post about "Fluffy Dirt" cause I commented on that post too!
Leslie said…
Good stuff Candice...you are so good. What lucky young women!
Wendy A. Jones said…
Candice!
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I read your new blog announcement right when you sent it out and headed over here right after, but I wasn't on my own computer so I didn't save it in favorites and it got lost in the shuffle that is my current brain. (Which is indicating my brain hasn't always been shuffled, although I don't think there's anyone who will attest to that.)

So--I'm commenting on several posts all at once and apologize if it is annoying.

I finally got a chance to watch Paper Clips and loved it. Thanks for posting the link.

Sarah is such a cutie! I can see a lot of you in her. And you are so nice to let her body paint (since it's apparent from the pictures that she used a few more parts than just fingers). Fun!

I have loved reading about all your experiences with your seminary classes and other callings. You have a special talent to be able to make a connection with just about anyone. I'm sure it's just gotten stronger over the years. Thanks for being such a great person.
SSU said…
hey! dave is coming to slc. brandi and stebo are going i believe. that baby is a brilliant idea! where do you find baby food coloring?
Josh and Amber said…
That sleep over looked super fun! Those young women are lucky to have you guys!