Walker Reunion 2008




This weekend we traveled to Washington, UT to attend the John and Lapreal family reunion. First of all, we were blessed to have some of those really great grandparents. You know, the kind that took you camping, fed you Lucky Charms, attended all of your recitals regardless of the yawn factor, and never missed a birthday. Grandma Walker was famous for her sweet pickles, potato salad, and prolific journaling and family history work. Grandpa was famous for his alleged curly hair, his ability to put everyone at ease, and his popularity with his friends (some women, but nothing scandelous) on the square dance floor, and in the temple. Actually, I never knew a person who did not LOVE Grandpa Walker. Uncle John inherited some of that.

Anyway, we had a fun time together playing in the water, getting acquainted with new first cousins-once-removed and cousin-in-laws, renewing cousinships, and playing a surprisingly competitive volleyball game, with the whole family involved. I am still sore.

Uncle John brought family history and told us stories of those whose blood we share. I felt special to have such pioneer heritage, and I was grateful for the decisions that my ancestors made to follow the prophet time and time again. I wonder if my love for Southern Utah (we totally wanted to move there after our visit) was not in part, because my ancestors were called to settle the area. We (as if I had some part in it:) settled Cedar City, and there was something about a grandfather who was the first white baby born in Beaver, UT. I also have a grandmother who was involved in Indian raids and crossed the plains with a handcart. I need to learn the stories better.
I wonder what stories will be told of me?

I am grateful for Grandma and Grandpa Walker for the good and righteous family they raised. For the most part, we have a strong family, and I felt the power of our good Grandparents. I have always been grateful for their strength, integrity, and goodness. I cannot believe that I was so blessed to be born in to their family.

On the subject of Sarah (I want this as kind of a Sarah journal as well), she loves the water, and is getting more and more confident. She leaps from the side of the pool (which is impressive to me because I do not know any other babies her age with the ability to jump, let alone the gumption to jump from high places into deep waters). She also frolicked (like a bulldozer knocking into other children as she plowed) through the splash area in the desert lightning. If I was absent from the area, she had fun playing with Gran and Grandad Bagley, especially in the condo that we stayed in that night with a gorgeous pool. Now that was a little bit of Heaven. After our night swim, Gran, Grandad, Andrew, and I cheered on Michael Phelps as he won his record eight Gold medals in the Olympics. That was historic and wonderful as was our reunion.

Comments

Jon + Kat said…
Funny-I just was on your blog earlier and then you posted something new! Here are my thoughts: Firstly, I miss Sarah. She is getting so big and getting hair and I feel I am missing out on this. Secondly, I'm insanely jealous that you've been able to go to all the reunions! I totally miss having cousins around. I would love to see Tracy and Mike again-it's been forever and I can't believe how big Amber's little girl is now. Too cute! That looked so fun! One of these years . . .
Josh and Amber said…
The reunion was a BLAST!! I'm so happy you guys got to make it! It was fun seeing you again, it's been so long! And Sarah is adorable! I love the pics you posted (especially the one of my husband and daughter hehe) The volleyball game was the best! And way fun!! You had some rockin skills!

My blog is joshandamberhammond.blogspot.com
Leslie said…
What awesome pioneer stories. Isn't it great to have pioneer ancestry and feel their strength from time to time. Great stuff.

Hooray for the Olympics and M. Phelps!
It was so fun seeing you again. The reunion was a blast. I'm just sorry that we didn't get to have our Wii compitition. Don't be strangers. We have a guest bedroom if ever want to come down.