Sam's Club or Costco?

I have relatives who have very strong feelings about this topic.

The Bagleys and Lofgrans all have Sam's Club memberships, and are extremely loyal.

The Rails have been going to Costco since it was Price Club, and Andrew loves Costco like he loves Disneyland.

I got my first Costco membership while living in Taiwan.  It took a whole day to make the journey with a 4 hour train ride, walking and taking taxis with our hiking backpacks (to haul our bounty back).

When we moved to Washington D.C. I found that instead of visiting the Smithsonian, we would waste our Saturdays at Costco.  It was like a drug.  We had no reason to go.  We would just look around, try the samples, have Andrew's traditional hotdog, buy some bread and milk, and go home.  You think that we might have spent more time at the Smithsonian, but no, Costco was always high on our list, despite the impossible parking and long lines.

When we moved to Salt Lake, we received a gift card from Sam's Club from my parents.  Our Costco membership was a month from expiring, so I thought that we would use the gift card to buy a Sam's membership.  I wanted to compare.  I told a saddened Drew that we would try it for a year.  I just wanted to see the difference.

This is what I have discovered so far:
1. Sam's has better food samples.  They are bigger, they often have chefs creating things, and the sample people are super nice and helpful.  They often give us more samples than we can possibly eat.  There are no crowds, so no one is lined up to try the samples, and there are always plenty.
2. Sam's has no lines.  Or very few.  Nearly every Costco that we have visited around the world is crowded, except maybe one in an obscure town in Virginia.  Andrew and I, in our more frugal days would only buy milk and bread, yet wait in endless lines to check out.
3. Since there are very few people shopping at Sam's, the people who work there are extremely helpful. 
4. Costco's food court has frozen yogurt (instead of icecream), and better pizzas (says Andrew).  He will not touch the Sam's Club food court, but would rarely leave Costco without the traditional hot dog.  In fact, people often go to Costco just to eat.  I do not think that this is the case with Sam's Club.
5. Costco's food is more gourmet.  I felt that Costco had bulk prices on upscale food.  Sam's just has bulk prices on food you would get at Walmart.  In general, I think that Costco's food was better.
6. Costco seems to have a 'brighter atmosphere' says Drew.  He was just happy being there.  There were always interesting and well manufactured things there that you wanted to buy, books to read, etc.
7. Costco has a more upscale clientel.  Sam's shoppers are definitely not upscale.  It was one of the first things that I noticed.
8. They both have great prices on milk, eggs, gas, etc.

In the end, it was about sixes.  Sam's is more convenient and less crowded.  Costco has better food and is more crowded.  Oh, yes, you can buy caskets at Costco.

Anyway, we just went to Sam's today, and I wondered if anyone else had thoughts or feelings about Sam's Club or Costco, or whether it was even worth being a member of a price club.

Comments

The Bears said…
I like Sam's the best and on the question of wether people go to Sam's just to eat... Yes we do. As kids, we always wanted our mom to take us to Sam's for a hotdog... an idea I've always been resentful of Costco for stealing. My family has been going to Sam's since it was called Walton's Wholesale Club. In MO there were no Costco's. (There might be now) I had never been to one, untill I moved to Los Angeles. Maybe it was just LA or maybe it's all Costco's, but the parking lot was unbearable, the store crowded and the caskets right in the entryway freaked me out. On a similar, but slightly different subject... Sam's is an American company and that makes me happier to support it. Maybe I've thought way to much about this????
Candice said…
I don't think that you did. Obviously, it is a source of though and debate in our home.

I did not know it was called Walton's Wholesale Club!

I did not know about Sam's until I came home from college and my parents were so excited that they could buy 'Frosted Mini Wheats' in bulk. I think that they stocked their entire food storage at Sam's not long after that.

When Dad visited us in college, they would take us to Sam's. I did not discover Costco until later. It was in Taiwan, and it had a very Taiwan feel, but that began my addiction of the Wholesale Club.
ann said…
My parents had both memberships always... still do. They enjoy the perks of both places. For me, I am more than addicted to Costco. I LOVE it. I want one of everything, please. As far as the crowds go, they are definitely there. But you have to think of it like a restaurant. In San Francisco, you can tell the quality of the restaurant by how many people are around/the line out the door. It's a good sign! So, the crowds don't bother me. I just feel that there are lots of other people who love it as much as I do, and I can't blame them. I also have developed somewhere in my life a distinct aversion to Walmart and anything related to it. So, sorry Sam's club... my loyalties are elsewhere.
squiresclan said…
I have only been to a costco a couple of times and that was with my mom and mother in law to pick up specific things so i really don't know much about it since we haven't had a costco around here (and in them short trips i never noticed caskets lol), although that just changed one is opening up in pocatello.
So most of my experience is with sams and i like it. but am actually thinking about getting a costco membership as well. my mother in law and i have talked about car pooling there once a month because they love costco and have missed it since they moved down here.
Wendy A. Jones said…
Costco has a great photo shop--really nice processing. I definitely prefer the fewer crowds at Sam's, so I usually go there. Also, Sam's is closer and their egg rolls are better. Also, you can buy milk by the gallon instead of the double gallon. So in my life, Sam's Club wins. Sorry Costco lovers.
Candice said…
Good point on the milk! I forgot about that. Yes, I like getting to choose to buy one gallon or three if I so desire at Sam's.
Andrew said…
To clarify things, we never made the train ride to Taipei for Costco. We made it for the temple. After the temple, if we had time, we caught a cab to Costco (we had the hardest time trying to say "Costco" to the Chinese speaking taxi drivers! With five tones and two syllables, how do you get the right combination? Eventually, we just showed them the card, and the driver would say "Oh, Costco" and off we went while Candice and I looked at each other and said, "Isn't that what we said?").

I am shocked at the pro-Sam's responses! I went into Sam's with high hopes, but get sooooo depressed when I spend more than 18 minutes there. I have no clue why.

Costco does need to do better at choosing their samplers. I don't need grumpy old men and women yelling at me to grab a toothpick.

I also like the books better at Costco. The clothes were always better. And the seasonal stuff is not quite so cheesy.

When I read Candice's post, I thought she was skewed towards Sam's. Then she tells me she thought she wrote it skewed towards Costco. Apparently in my subconscious if you write anything good about Sam's and anything less than a shining, perfect appraisal of Costco, you are skewed towards Sam's.

Men go to shopping warehouses for the food court. Costco is man friendly and yummy (their pizza is awesome). Sam's foodcourt is cardboard! I think they stole the idea from the Chinese company that used cardboard in dumplings (or the Chinese company took if from them)

Either way, Costco is the way to go!
Ben and Shara said…
I vote Costco. But I've never been to Sam's so I can't really have that strong of a vote.

p.s. My Costco in Lehi is very uncrowded on weekdays. Rarely are there more than two in a line to check out and that is only if you go after work or on a weekend. Timing is everything.
Andrew said…
Don't worry, you don't want to experience Sam's! No crowds and the goods at your Costco, then you experience the best of both worlds! Heaven smiles down on you, Sharalee!