Fifty Years of Clean Living

Fifty years is a long time. Aunt Betty was quoted as saying that 'it (being married for half-a-century) was not much of an accomplishment'. Her guests gasped. I gasped. I think our reaction meant that her feat is a little more impressive than she thinks.

We honor the worthy Patriarch and Matriarch of the Floyd Bagley family on their 50 years together. This is their Golden Anniversary Surprise Party.
Aren't they gorgeous?

This picture was taken in front of one of Uncle Terry's beloved tractors. When I think of Uncle Terry I think, banking, Fords, family, temple, and tractors. Today, I found that Aunt Betty does not like tractors. Hence, we were told in return for his tractor passion, Aunt Betty was given a grand piano, organ, and a harpsichord. These apparently offset Uncle Terry's Bagley Tractor Racing Team. All is in balance at the Bagley residence.

When gentle and handsome Uncle Terry greeted Andrew and I at the Party, he said three sentences with quiet conviction,

"Don't break your Covenants"
"Don't break your Covenants"
"Don't break your Covenants"


I felt the same as I did years ago, when he, as our family Patriarch, told the 40 + cousins en mass that if we did not get married in the temple and go on missions, he would kill us.

Same as then, I felt inspired to live up to that bar. Thank you for the high standards that you set for us. I won't break them.

Note the Silver Sharpie addition to the bride and groom's hair in the opening picture. I love the detail their children put into their surprise party. This was atop the anniversary cake that was ceremoniously cut at the end. Betty told how green she was the first time she did it. Apparently cake cutting tools are different on the other side of the world.
When I think of Aunt Betty I think motherhood, Australia, interior design, and music. Therefore, I had to take a picture of her piano and organ. I remember asking her to teach me the whole of music theory in an afternoon. I was trying out to play the piano for the jazz ensemble. She obliged. I found out tonight that she came to America on a music scholarship. Hooray for music: it brought us Aunt Betty.



The age spread of my cousins is impressive. It is the legacy of large families. Hence, I did not get to know Lisa (on the right) as well as I ought. She was hilarious. I did not know that; I had imagined her very serious for some reason unknown. At one point in the party, she cried out, "stop everyone! (all conversations ceased as we looked to Lisa in surprise) I am on the television!". They had taken the family 8 millimeter film and put it on DVD. It was an incredible history. And Lisa was exceptionally cute. Those Bagley kids are definitely darling. Good genes.

It was Melissa (on the left in the black and white) that gave me the next suggestion. Andrew and I had driven straight from Salt Lake to the party. It was long past Sarah's (my daughter's) bedtime. Melissa stated with the wisdom of a mother of three: "Sarah does not want to be here, and your husband most likely does not want to be here (Andrew later denied this saying that he enjoyed himself). Have him take her home. That is what husband's are for". She takes her own advice. Her husband, the Rocket Scientist, was home in Colorado with her three children. I laughed as she told of her dread at what the children would be dressed like on Sunday in detail. This move gave me freedom to enjoy the party, instead of worrying about Sarah destroying the cake, and other fragile things in Betty's beautiful home.

Thank you Andrew for taking Sarah home. 'That is what husband's are for'. You are a great one.


Jaclyn listening to cousin stories. There are few things that I love more than associating with my bright, beautiful, deeply good cousins.



As the sparkling cider was being poured, Jeff Bagley mentioned that toasting was not something often done in LDS culture; microphone in hand, he said he felt he should be bearing his testimony instead. I felt bad taking pictures of faithful family members holding what might be mistaken as alcohol. Maybe, I could Photoshop the beverage white, so it looks like milk.

Regardless, the toasts were excellent.

Dad's toast told how the Grand Piano made it into Aunt Betty's home: and his narrow escape before she found out exactly how it was done.

It was a surprise party. However, I think that I was most surprised when Aunt Betty was so well put together at her own secret party (at my last surprise party, I showed up glistening with sweat in hiking shorts, no makeup and a t-shirt...surprise!). It was here that she announced that due to some heavy snooping and questioning, she discovered the secret. She looked lovely.

I had forgotten her beautiful Australian accent. I was enchanted when she took the microphone (at her own surprise party) and said, "Welcome to ah Paaahty". I wish that I could write that as lovely as it sounded. I can see and hear why Uncle Terry was smitten.


Here is to fifty years of clean living. Jeff, the brilliant master of ceremonies gave the first toast. I already wrote the punchline. He told a wonderful story of the Bishop calling on the telephone: young Jeffrey answered.

"Where's your Dad?" asked the Bishop

"In the shower." replied Jeffrey.

"Where's your Mom?"

"In the shower." (this is the part where Aunt Betty's voice exclaims, 'We had two showers!' This is also the part where I thought, 'They had seven children')

Then the toast was made. I repeat. "Here is to fifty years of clean living".
This was a choice part of the night. We were asked to answer true and false questions about the Bagleys. Below is Melissa and Kelly letting us know the truth about their parents. I could not stop laughing, interspersed with cries of, "no way!" "are you serious?" "I had no idea!" escaping my lips.

I learned about the fireworks and food fights that occurred in the Bagley household (both instigated by Aunt Betty). I learned about deportation problems before they got married. I learned that Aunt Betty just became an American in July, 2008 (I hope I go that date right). I learned that if they were polygamists which wife Aunt Betty would want to be. I found that there are no emasculation problems with Uncle Terry and the interior decorating choices made by his sweet wife. He is all man. Oh, yes, I learned how Aunt Betty really feels about the tractor collection. Great job Melissa and Kelly.







Why were they laughing? The creative Bagley daughters bravely performed the new and improved version of "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria". It asked how their Mom and Dad stayed happily married for fifty years.

I found out that they had a great-grandchild. Out of all of their accomplishments, it was their amazing family that I found the most impressive.

Bigger than life. One of the reasons I would travel four hours in a snowstorm to attend a family gathering: the stories. Terry Jr. and Dad sat and told stories I had never heard about my Grandad. He was summed up in three words: bigger than life.

I feel the same about my entire extended family. Through their quiet dedication to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, their lives became extraordinary. The whole story is bigger than life.

Aunt Betty and Uncle Terry, thank you for fifty years of example. To me you are bigger than life, but a life that I might be able to attain: it is in my blood.

Comments

Dan said…
wow thanks for blogging this I had no idea.
Christy Dyer said…
Candace, I was so sad that I couldn't be there, thank you for all the delightful commentary and pictures. You did a great job!
Unknown said…
There are a lot of great things about living on the east coast. Missing out on all the fun is NOT ONE OF THEM!! I am so glad you put all of this on your blog. Especially the part about what Uncle Terry whispered to you and Andrew. I will whisper that to Scott tonight....
Christy Jane said…
Candace - That was so fun to read! I laughed out loud. Especially remembering myself the little talk Uncle Terry had to all the cousins about getting baptized, going on missions, temple marriage or .. yes, as I remember it too, deathly consequences were involved! Thanks for helping those of us who couldn't attend to feel like we were there!
Jon + Kat said…
How fun! Once again, I'm mourning living so far away. And you drove through a snowstorm?! I'm definitely on a different planet here in Texas. The stories sounded fun and I had no idea Brittany had a baby! I love that girl! What a fun fun party! Thanks for the breakdown!
Ben and Shara said…
Cool. I didn't even know this was happening. And wow, 50 years is a seriously long time with the same person, but I think it is interesting that eventually we are with our spouses so much longer than we are single or with our parents. Choosing the right mate is essential. Thanks for summing up the event for us all.

s