We once had a cabin...

We used to have a cabin. Actually my parents had a cabin, but I helped build it when I was fifteen years old...which still does not give me much ownership. I used to love my parent's cabin; hence, my heart got very sore when I heard they had sold it.
It was a gorgeous completely log cabin (still talking about the cabin we no longer own) right on the Island Park Reservoir. It was actually a private island called I.P. Bills Island. Our cabin was one of peace and total family-ness. For a naturally high strung clan, it was the only place in the whole world where we could relax completely.
In the winter we would snowmobile up Radio Relay and to Old Faithful, and in the summer we would water ski and water ski and water ski. One of my favorite relaxing memories was of friends and family all sprawled out on the main floor in uber cushy couches listening to General Conference. It was perfect.

So, when Dad said that we had another cabin, I was ecstatic. However, he is trying to sell it quickly. Hence, I have not tried to build any attachments to it: this is a hard thing to do.


Dad, one of the more astute businessmen in the West, lent money to builders. This was a mostly successful venture. However, some of the builders did not survive. So, now Dad and Mom own another cabin in Island Park. Not as close to the lake as before, but pretty darn close.

It will sleep twenty, and has an amazing home theatre.

On the last day that I was home, Sarah and I went with Mom and Dad to the cabin to wash windows in preparation for furnishing and renting it out.



They will be renting it out until it sells: $500 per night.
That is not too bad for a group of twenty.

Thank goodness Sarah was there to help wash windows and hold the ladder when Grandad was washing the really high windows. I do not know what we would have done without her. She made my super fast working parents even faster...okay, none of that is true, but someday it will be.








It would be really great if my parents approached me and said, "Candice, you have been such a great daughter, feel free to use the cabin at will." I would humbly say, "No, I am not THAT great," and they would say, "No, no, you ARE. You are amazing, Candice and we cannot thank you enough for the ease in which we raised you." Then I would say, "Well, if you insist..."



Sarah playing ball. She finished her jobs so quickly that she had time to kick the ball around a bit.

Dad, still working on the windows.

This is Sarah back at "The Office". My Dad owned a metal construction company, and her playing around the steel sheets of metal that I was raised with brings back memories.




I love my Mom and Dad. They don't have to loan me a million dollar cabin to show their love for me. It helps, though. Just kidding.

Comments

The Bears said…
I think all cabins should really be made of logs. I think it's cool your family built their own. It definitely would have been hard to let it go.
Jensens said…
Holy cow! Doug's parents have a cabin in Bill's Island. Where is the new one? We always have a family reunion there in July and it gets crowded, maybe we'll have to see if we can rent your parent's cabin in addition. I can't remember how many we usually have, but it is more than 20 and we have people everywhere! By the way, if you ever feel like staying in Island Park, give us a call...we can usually get Doug's parent's cabin...it would be an adventure!
Shane D. said…
I remember that first cabin.. its was super fun! Im hoping to have inherited some of that shrewd Bagley business sense..
Lauren Dyer said…
It looks so beautiful. It's so true that going up to a cabin somewhere in the wilderness is completely relaxing. And I think Sarah looks like a great little helper, not to mention cute.
Josh and Amber said…
I miss that old cabin! It was fun when we would all go up and stay together there with you guys. My Grandpa had a cabin in Island Park to and he sold his not to long before your dad sold his. Cabins are the greatest, I really miss them too. That new one looks really nice!
Candice, you make me laugh. We had some good times at your cabin too. It's always fun though when you do things with family there. If your folks still have the cabin next summer, lets have our family reunion there. That would be awesome.
Anonymous said…
Such a cute Sarah! And a lovely cabin. There's nothing quite like Island Park--

Wendy
Jensens said…
Hate to say it, but you've been tagged...again.
Lorin and Liza said…
Oh Candice, Just thinking about your parents cabin at IP Bill's soothes my nerves and slows my heartrate. They were very generous and let me take several escapes there. One summer (after the twins)I went up with Alesa and spent a week there to escape the other seven kids, two extra live-in pipemovers and the farm in general. If I hadn't of had that time I would have committed hairy-carey and perhaps not all of my children would have grown to adulthood. Thanks goodness for cabins.
Alesa and I also meet President Faust who was staying at the cabin next door. He walked out in his white t-shirt and red sweats and introduced himself as "Jim". Alesa and I have always had a special affinity for him since.
Lyf2.0 said…
Holy freakin' cabin Batman! Noyce!