Croup


Poor Sarah. (Okay, this is not a poor Sarah picture, but I always think that pictures make posts more interesting, and this was just one I had at hand.  It is her new dress worn two Sundays ago.)


Now photoshop in your mind a little girl with an oozy mucous face, red eyes, and the saddest dry cough.

We took her to the doctor yesterday because of her coughing and wheezing.

He said that it was his fourth case of Croup this week.

Yes, it is the same sickness that Diana Barry's little sister almost died from, if it were not for Anne Shirley and her ipicac administrations (Think "Anne of Green Gables").

It sounded so archaic, like the doctor saying that Sarah had small pox or diptheria.

When I told people that she had Croup, they always asked, "what is that exactly?"  According to the photocopied sheet my doctor gave me, 'Croup is a viral infection of the vocal chords, voice box, and windpipe'. 

The paper said to sleep by the child to make sure that they can breathe because it can be deadly (like in "Minnie May's" case).  But the 'bark is worse than the bite'.  It has not been too bad.

Sarah lives.  She is getting better. In three days you can all come and visit (non-contagious:).

Comments

Lauren Dyer said…
I hope everything is okay! How scary.
Andrew said…
in the name of Matthew Cuthbert, Amen.
Jensens said…
Poor Sarah. Hope she gets better soon. Hope you are able to get some rest, too!
The Bears said…
Coughing is the worst... well actually throwing up is the worst, but coughing is a close second. I feel for her.
Candice said…
I agree with you on the coughing verses throwing up thing.
Anonymous said…
I love the Anne reference. I'm pretty sure the first thing I bought for my medicine cabinet when I first got pregnant was ipecac. (Just in case).

Hope Sarah feels better soon!

Wendy
Hope she's getting better. Sick kids are so sad. I think Tamara's kids had croup last week too! It's been a while since we've had a cold around here. I'm sure we'll get one right when we're about to travel home and share it with the whole family!
KittyCat said…
HI...I found your blog through Google. We're living in China now and my 3 year old has croup too.

Relying on the traditional Chinese medicine prescribed, clear warm soups, Vicks Vaporub and waiting for the week to pass :P

Is there anything specific your paed recommended for croupy kids? This is my first time with croup as it's unheard of in sunny Malaysia. Thanks!

http://bananainchina.com