My flute

In sixth grade I almost chose to play the saxaphone...along with 3/4 of all six graders. The other 1/4 chose my instrument: the flute.

This is a picture of Sarah carrying the original used Bundy that my Mom bought for me. A safe investment just in case I quit.



If I would have been smart, I might have chosen a needed instrument like the bassoon or the oboe or the french horn; one that I might get a scholarship with. If I were really really smart, I would have played a stringed instrument. If you can master a stringed instrument, you have a talent to share forever. I would give my right arm to play the cello or a cool fiddle. But, if I gave that particular arm it might be difficult to hold the instrument.

So, I am glad that I chose my flute. It is an easy instrument to master, and I am still in demand.

You see, at church, to maintain a reverent atmosphere, pianos, flutes, and stringed instruments are encouraged. Brass and percussion instruments, not so much.

I cannot play the french horn for Stake Conference. I probably would not get any trombone solos for Sacrament Meeting. But, I am a hot commodity with my bundy flute in hand.

Every year, I get the opportunity to play my flute with our ward or Stake Choir.  I am writing this, because yesterday, I received my flute solo for this year's ward Christmas Program.  I love it. I love to make music. I love to make music with others: to be a part of something bigger than myself. I am not amazing at it, but I am willing and I practice, which, in our church is all that matters.

If you want someone who is willing, that would be me. Call me, 'Candice the willing'.

In fact, I was once asked to play the harp for the ward Christmas program.  I accepted.  When I accepted, I had not yet learned to play the harp.  

I practiced every day for hours, prayed, received a blessing, and played a 'mean' "What Child is This".  The whole ward prayed and held its collective breath.  And a few angels with harp experience.  All of heaven hoped that I would make it through.

I did.  I think that I got a heavenly standing ovation.

If you want an experience with angels, just say 'yes' when asked to perform in church.  The less you know the instrument the more angels come to help.

If you want a little joy, pick up the flute.  The easiest and prettiest wind instrument.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Okay, MAYBE it's the easiest (no reed!) and it probably IS the "prettiest" (if you like that sissy sort of stuff), but it isn't the coolest.

Sorry.

Bassoons rock! (But it's only a special bishop that will allow one to play in Sacrament Meeting. You do have me there.)

Wendy
Annette said…
As a recepient of your talent - I appreciate you playing the flute. It really adds something extra to the choir. I am looking forward to the Choir's Christmas program. The Harmony Park Ward's Choir really rocks. This past Sunday's performance was exceptionally beautiful. I agree that the angels do help you if you are willing and put in the effort. Good luck with your flute number.And have a good day!
Lauren Dyer said…
I would love to hear you play the flute. I chose piano like everybody else, but I quit. I can't play a single thing. Knowing how to play an instrument is a great talent.
Jensens said…
Ya! The flute rocks! I played once...forever ago. Good for you for keeping it up!