Racquetball Injury, my imaginary game with Dad and Uncle Errol

I have this Uncle who has played racquetball three times a week since it was invented.  I am not exaggerating.  My father has played it for almost as long and frequented a Rexburg landmark formerly known as "The Racquetball Club" (in which our family had a lifetime membership). The club died before we did.

Today, to get my blood pumping, I went to the gym, and decided to play solo racquetball. To make the game interesting, I imagined myself playing my Dad over Christmas.  I played hard and impressively (in my mind);  I pictured Dad being amazed at my skills...my killer backhand, and the 'English' that I put on the ball.  

Maybe I would even buy some goggles and some short seventies racquetball shorts for the our Christmas holiday games.

I think that my imaginary playing made me throw caution to the wind.  For, in my make-believe games with Dad and Uncle Errol, I injured a muscle that I did not realize I had.  Now, I seem to need it for everything.

So, Dad and Uncle Errol, we might have to postpone our Christmas tournament this year until I heal.

Comments

Andrew said…
How did The Raquetball Club die? Natural causes? Was it murdered?

I don't know how to put an English on the ball, but I can put a killer Australian!

Now, I happen to know what you hurt, and I am confused, how can you not know you had a muscle there?
Jensens said…
I am cracking up over Drew's comments! Hope you are feeling better soon, keeping my fingers crossed you can keep your Christmas raquetball date...can I come watch? It sounds like it would be very entertaining.
The Bears said…
So funny... sometimes it's hard to remember that area is a muscle and not just a comfy cushion.

I guess a reminder is good every now and then.. well once you can walk down stairs without wincing in pain.
Josh and Amber said…
I had no idea your dad and you guys were in to Racquetball. I had never heard of this "club" crazy!! But how fun!

Also, it's funny because I did try to curl my bands big, but they looked to good, so putting the part down the middle and no make-up helped dress me down better for the part!
Anonymous said…
Our family, too, were lifetime members. I wonder if I could demand to use the pool next time I'm in town. "Really! I'm a LIFETIME member!"

Great story--but sorry about the injury!

Wendy
Becky said…
Now I'm intrigued... which muscle was it exactly?

And you really have an Uncle named Errol? Like the owl in Harry Potter?

Cool.
Candice - I LOVE raquetball! Let's play when we come home for the holiday.

We will do warm ups and warm downs to prevent such further injury. Although, I don't think any stretches will prevent me from being sore. It's been too long since I've done anything that uses all the muscles needed to play a good game of r-ball.