Aunt Liza's Quick Roll Recipe

When does a recipe begin to bear your name? When you make it for 35 years, can repeat it verbatim, and when you teach it to the next generation.

These are Aunt Liza's, and maybe it was just beginner's luck, but they were Delicious with a capitol 'D' (when I attempted them alone for Thanksgiving dinner).

By popular demand here is the recipe I scribbled on some scratch paper in Aunt Liza's kitchen:

All in one mixing bowl combine:

2 1/2 cups hot water (not too hot, you should be able to put a baby in)

2 tablespoons yeast (she used the quick kind)

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup oil

2 eggs

1 tsp salt (unbeknownst to me this kills the sugar feeding yeast)

No more than 6 1/2 cups of flour (begin with 3 cups, mix, and add until the dough pulls away from the sides.)


Let rise until double. Punch down and form into rolls. Aunt Liza showed me three different shapes. We just pulled away golf ball size rolls, squeezed the air out, and shaped into balls.

Dip the top in butter, and place on cookie sheet an inch apart.

Let rise for about 15 minutes or desired size.

Bake 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Make more than you need, because your family will be in roll heaven for the next few days.

Comments

Lauren Dyer said…
Yumm! Thanks for sharing. They looked so good in those pictures.
Anonymous said…
Love, love, love homemade rolls.

Wendy
Lorin and Liza said…
Well, I do feel famous now!It may go to my head as now I have visions of a whole cookbook...."Aunt Liza's "Lushious,Licking, Lovable Cookbook".
Also, I usually use 2 Tablespoons of yeast instead of teaspoons. It will just make it rise faster.
Jensens said…
Can't wait to try 'em! Thanks for posting the recipe.
Candice said…
How embarrasing...I did use two tablespoons of yeast. I will change it right now.

I do not want to misrepresent perfection.
Mike & Traci said…
I will definately be trying these!! The bread department scares me in the kitchen!! I attempted banana bread twice, which should be way easy & the first time I didn't cook it enough :( The center was still dough!! Then, the next time I overcooked it becuase i was afraid of the doughy center from before. So let's just say I haven't tried it again...But, I will definately be trying these!!!