Mustang Repair Manual

We visited Mom and Dad this weekend in Rexburg on our way to their cabin. Before leaving for Island Park, we stopped by Dad's hangar.

For those who do not know, my Dad survived a P-51 crash the day before Shawn returned from his mission to Fiji. Dad is an amazing pilot, and better at surviving then most.

When he 'gets knocked down, he gets right up again', for we found him in his hangar with this:

Yes, he is putting his WWII P-51 Mustang back together again.  He was in airplane heaven.  He was so happy.  Dad is his happiest with his airplanes.
I asked the men who were helping him to make sure to do it PERFECTLY. I just love my Dad so much, that I would hate to lose him because of a plane that was not well built.  

You cannot see it clearly below, but each page on this ancient photocopied manual is marked RESTRICTED.  Government secrets, you see.
This is just a shot of the paint remover that was trying to remove Dad's fingers (see the glove being eaten away).

Aunt Liza asked about those who had influenced us the most.  I have pondered that.  I often think of how blessed I am one of the world's really good men as a father.  He, without question, has influenced me deeply.

We all love you, Dad.  Build it again, and build it well.

Comments

Josh and Amber said…
Your dad and his planes! He sure does love them! I can't believe he's rebuilding his Mustang, I pray that he does it well and perfectly too! Your dad really is such an amazing guy and quite the survivor.
Ben and Shara said…
I feel the same way about your dad as well. He truly is a good man.

How many crashes as he had?
Shane D. said…
I love it! im so jealous. you know I would take a year off work just to do something like that. I fixed a motorcycle this summer and I miss it horribly..

http://shanekelly.blogspot.com/2008/06/end-product.html