The Moral of the Story

Last night we watched
"Confessions of a Shopaholic."

Candice thought Isla Fisher was cute to watch. I am sure most would agree. She is bright and smiley.

I thought Sarah was cute to watch. She wanted to dance during the closing credits.

I woke up at 2:00 in the morning with this thought:

The audience was cheering on a liar. We knew her comeuppances were on their way, but we cheered her on the whole way along.

We only felt bad when she was caught. But that was okay, because we knew she would get her man. The guy who was trying to do his job (the bill collector) would get his 'just dues' as would the blond girl whose biggest error was simply having what our little heroine wanted.

I realize the blond and the bill collector each made an error in the show (their lack of empathy for Fisher brought that), but their single error each made life for them very difficult, while all of Fisher's lies and deceits were wiped clean by simply turning down a job and auctioning off her clothes. We even cheered her on because she got to keep her green scarf, which she lied to get in the first place.

When I was a child, the bad guys were the bad guys. The emperor? Bad. Luke? Good. Lex Luthor? Bad. Superman? Good. ET? Good. Scientists trying to capture and probe him? Bad! Harry and Marv? Bad. Kevin McCallister? Good.

And we wonder why our nation has reached the bottom of the slippery slide of amorality (fast slipping up path of immorality).

Because we pay our dollars to cheer on the amoral characters simply because they are so darned cute.

I cannot really complain, I guess. I wanted to watch Taken, and I don't think that would have brought me all that closer to Christ, either.

Can someone hand me a ladder? Standing up on this soapbox (rameumptom) is making me dizzy.

Comments

Candice said…
I have been noticing that for years, and thought about it during the movie. The heroes of today, make morally wrong choices. But they are cute.
Annette said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said…
Why stay awake through this drivel? This flick sounds like prime nap time.