Saturday Morning Choir Lessons


A couple of weeks ago, our Young Women were given complementary New Eras. The theme was Education.

I did not pick the magazine up for actual reading, until a week later, while sitting in the Salt Lake Temple baptistry

I never get more out of scripture than when I am sitting in the temple, and the first talk, by President Eyring, was the best talk on education I have ever read; maybe I felt it deeply because I was in the temple.  Most likely, it moved me because it was an amazing talk.  So, I was inspired to further my education-somehow.

I had my first opportunity to further my education at a choir conducting workshop set up by my German born, Stake Music Director, Fran.  She invited a Doctor of music, Jane, who was full of knowledge, spirit, and enthusiasm. 

I felt bad that only three came, including Fran.  But Jane looked at her three students and exclaimed that it does not matter how many come...it matters what those who come learn.  

I believe that.  And she said it so joyfully.

Of course I was sad that more people did not come.  It was excellent to say the least.  And Fran brought beautiful pastries.  

Almost every church member will be asked to conduct music sometime, and most likely, they will be asked often.  Wouldn't it be great if we learned to do a good job?

So, I got an intimate conducting lesson from a woman who followed the prophet, got her PhD, and could teach me how to be a great conductor.  I really want to be a great conductor. 

I am the choir director right now, and I want to give my sweet choir someone worth following.  

I am practicing.  I know so much more than I did before.

Thank you, Jane, Fran, and President Eyring for the inspiration.

Comments

Deborah said…
That is so awesome Candice! I miss Fran and the Harmony Park Ward Choir. You guys are all so awesome! Let me know when your next performance is(I don't think I can make it for Mother's day) I would love to be there.
Annette said…
Dang! I wanted to go to that...Fran is an awesome lady!
Unknown said…
You're the CHOIR DIRECTOR! That is my all time favorite calling. I bet you are fantastic at it!
Shannon said…
Wow that is awesome and so true. And now I'm feeling terrible for one, not going to that workshop and two, that I don't even know how to lead music! I'm so incapable with music Candice! Help me!!
Shannon said…
ps, you are a awesome music director. The arrangements you do for choir are always so lovely.