A Welcome Change

The Deseret News published an article today about the growing Latino face of Utah:

Five outdoor taco carts are within a block of the corner of State Street and 800 South in Salt Lake City, and each enjoys long mid-afternoon lines waiting for sizzling, aromatic tacos made not only of beef or pork, but also tongue or tripe. A few years ago, no carts, exotic meats or lines were here.

"About 70 percent of our customers are Hispanic," says Rafael Rosas, manager of a Tacos El Pais cart.


The lines are not indicative of the changing face. The lines are indicative that there is nowhere else in Utah where you can get freshly cooked, amazing food that costs less than 2 bucks for the entire meal.

That is right, folks. Give them two bucks, they give you two quarters back along with your lunch!

The stands are a hot button issue in Salt Lake, but like Rancho Markets, I welcome them!

Not only is it a bargain, but it is fresh...as in there is nothing processed about it, they cook it right in front of you....fresh vegetables are in the coolers for your choice of toppings for free.

When we lived in Taiwan and China, this was how we usually ate at least one of our meals daily, and the pounds melted off.

Comments

Ben and Shara said…
I love your love of SLC. You know all the hots spots. We will have to check it out.

So I'm wondering about swine flu and other produce issues when it comes to Rancho Markets. Do you worry at all about the Rancho Markets? Do they farm somewhere in SLC? Perhaps it is not a worry at all I'm very ignorant when it comes to the issue of safe produce. please educate me.
The Bears said…
I'm all for fresh food and variety, as long as the owners are here legally and pay taxes. The more, the merrier.
Candice said…
Okay, Drew, this is how YOU ate in China, and Taiwan. I usually avoided street vendors as I do here.

You see, on my mission to the Philippines, it was against mission rules to eat at a street vendor...because we would probably DIE.

I hope that people do not believe that I am as passionate as you about street vendors.

I support them...I just do not want to eat their food, because of that old mission worry...DEATH.
Andrew said…
Apparently my sweetheart did not realize where many of our meals were coming from that I brought home in little boxes or baggies ;)

Don't tell your mission president!
The Bears said…
Hey Candice... Did anything help with sickness while you were pregnant? That's how mine is too, morning, noon and night. It seems unrelenting.