Trek 2009

How I loved Trek.
It was my first. I was on my mission during 'Faith in Every Footstep' when trekking became all of the rage.
I did not realize how walking in the wilderness...while pulling bucket laden handcarts up mudslicks could change me.

The people changed me. Below is Bishop Murri and his wife, enthusiastic Ma and Pa to a family that got injured and sick one by one, while the Bishop pulled a gradually heavier burden. Can you imagine having your Bishop pulling your cart can change you?
The youth (as they always do) inspired me. I love them. This picture was taken during the cloudburst on Bishop's night. The best thing about this trek was the love and unity it created. I will be honest, we played 'like crazy'. I love to play. Every family honestly believed that they were the very best.
We actually had a real baby on the trek. No cabbage patch substitute needed for their family.


The spirit was strong. The youth were doing the things that invite it. Inactive youth covenanted to be active again. Nonmember youth felt the spirit. All of us felt the sacrifice of the pioneers and were more grateful. The church became truer.
Although it was my first, I thought it was the number one trek ever. I am grateful for the sacrifice that went into planning and executing it.
It changed the youth and it changed me.

Comments

Lauren Dyer said…
that looks so fun! I have never done one.
Annette said…
Thanks for sharing those pictures..Bryce has told me some, little by little I am sure I will hear more. He also told me that when he got injured that you stepped up and took his place at the handcart. I also heard that your very devoted & dedicated husband both to you and the Church did a great amount of traveling to be on that trek. Thanks to you and Andrew, to all you do, You guys are awesome!
Deborah said…
Thank You so much for sharing that! I got to go a few years back before Mark and I were married as an "adult youth". I would love to do it over again, but would have to prepare much more as I didn't walk for one whole day due to various things that happened. I'm so glad you were able to go. I know that you and Drew had a huge impact on everyone there as you both are such amazing people! The trek is definatley something that everyone should do!
ann said…
Thanks for the post! The pictures of those youth make me homesick for Granite Park Stake. I am glad it was such a success!! I love trek. I would go on one every week, if I could.
B and C said…
Thanks for sharing those pictures. I felt like I was watching Legacy or something. I loved hearing from the youth yesterday about their experiences. Now I can visualize it. Great work Rails, you rock~!
Unknown said…
you guys make a great pioneer couple. :) How fun. I've always wanted to do that. Where was it at? It looks a lot like Badger Creek.... By the way, "rails" is such a great pioneer name. It is like you are giving everyone a hint at a better way to cross the plains, but no one has caught on yet.
Anonymous said…
I've never been on a trek, but I've heard great things about it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Wendy
jennaloha said…
I heard that our Stake in AZ is beginning the planning stages of our next trek. I hope we have as good a time as your group did, and that I am half as cute a pioneer as you.