Happy Birthday, and Pioneer Days

Happy Birthday Dad (Thursday, July 16)! Sarah does not look super happy in this picture.
I do not know why. We had Andrew's cake an ice cream at 8:00 a.m. (cake for breakfast). That is bliss for most children. Happy 33rd Birthday, Andrew!
On Saturday, I had planned a day of Pioneer Festivities. We signed up for an Encampment Hike, complete with a commemorative patch upon completion. We arrived fifteen minutes late, and I think that we missed it. No patch for us.

So, we did our own commemorative hike up Ensign Peak. I once again forgot my banner. Two days after arriving in the valley, a mountain fever sick Brigham Young and his associates hiked this peak and unfurled their banner...Ensign. They surveyed the valley and prayed and counseled for hours. I really wanted to wave a yellow banner on top of Ensign Peak; just like Brigham Young, and the General Young Women's Presidency.

I sat in wonder that I was in a place that prophets prayed.
I tried to see what they saw. The valley with rivers flowing in, no trees, and apparently thousands of buffalo. It was Zion.
The surprise and pleasure of the day was the Youth Parade and Festival. I loved it. Primaries from around the Valley, along with school bands and dancers marched from Trolley Square to the city buildings. Andrew, Sarah, and I walked the route with them and back. We cheered and cheered. Sarah loved the music the plethora of depicted bees (go Deseret!), and butterflies. I loved the angels walking along the route.

Comments

jennaloha said…
Ah so you married a younger man. Me too.

Blake's one week younger than me. Which was huge when I was 30 and he was still in his 20's.
Rachi said…
Candice- I love your blog, and the pics of Super Sarah are amazing! She is so adorable. I miss you guys and hope to see you soon. Rachael