Whoopee Days

I have observed the 4th of July in several States in this country, including Washington DC and Boston.
Very few rival Rexburg, Idaho, for July 4th awesomeness.
These pictures are of the morning of the parade. Our family meets at Dad's hanger/Legacy Flight Museum and we pull out the Mustangs.
And push start the old cars (Andrew looks on as my mother push starts this one:).
This is the P-51 Mustang, the "Mormon Mustang" that tried to kill Dad. It has been rebuilt, and looks a little rough. When asked why he did not paint it, Dad said, "I wanted to make sure it worked before I painted it." Andrew said, "I would make sure it worked first before I flew it". Good point.
Aunt Betty looked so regal in her car behind us in the parade. I love that this new American citizen flew both Australian and U.S. flags on her car.
More of the Terry Bagley family on their tractors. It is their tradition to wear their 'Bagley Racing Team' shirts and ride the Rexburg parade. Pictured are the Wheatlys from California, Lisa's husband and daughter.

I am of no relation to these people. I just loved that the truly old live in Rexburg. They are pioneers. They also understand that the parade is mostly about the candy. They have garbage bag fulls of candy goodness at their feet.
Uncle Jerry and Aunt Patsy's family in this awesome fire engine.
Jaclyn and Mom in the car. I also have to give a shout out to Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Steve who visited on Sunday. Thank you for helping me laugh with all of my stomach muscles. I love you both.
The post parade barbecue at Jaclyn's house. Dad is making the ice cream and enjoying it just before he has to make more flybys in subsequent parades around the valley.
I have to say how much I love Rexburg. It holds a strong place in my heart. The people are good to the inner cells of their bodies. In testimony meeting, the Rexburg Stake President, President White was quoted as saying, 'if you can't live a Zion life in Rexburg, you probably can't do it anywhere. This is as good as it gets.' Rexburg is as good as it gets.

For example, while we were waiting for the parade to start, a man and his family saw us sitting in the back of our truck. He worried that we would need water during the parade, so he gave us his family's bottled water. I had to go to the Community Care Clinic and I had Parenting magazines and Ensigns to choose from for my waiting room reading. I sat in WalMart, and I overheard to young girls talking about when they would be truly adult. One said, 'when you are asked to pray in Sacrament Meeting, that is when you are an adult.' They are not afraid of their religion. It is a part of their work, conversations, social activities, and breath.
Last, but not least. Sarah and the slide. It was taken about an hour ago. It rounds out my 4th of July weekend festivities.
God Bless America.

Comments

Dan said…
I too have experienced a Rexburg 4th of July. Tis a wonder to behold.
Jon + Kat said…
Oh! How I wish I could have been there! I miss the 4th in Rexburg! It was lame here. I miss the parades and tractors and cars and planes and all that good stuff.
Christy Dyer said…
Looks like you had a "good ole Bagley fabulous time". How fun!
Anonymous said…
I agree that Whoopee Days is the place to be on July 4th.

We took our kids to a parade here in town last August, after they'd been in Rexburg on the 4th. You should have heard the exclamations: "You mean there's no CANDY?!" The "Then why is there even a parade" was just implied.
Rachel said…
Looks like you had a great time! Happy 4th!
Jensens said…
How fun! Glad you enjoyed yourself. It's always great to get back with family for the holidays. I love tradition.
Janet said…
I had no idea that Rexburg was the place to be for the fourth. Looks like such a good time.
Mrs. Olsen said…
I remember hearing a phrase about "making Whoopee" when I was a kid and I couldn't believe Rexburg would have a Whoopee Days!

Glad I could hit the Rexburg parade through your blog.
great clean fun! I miss small town parades like that. Glad to live it up through your photos of Whoopee Days! : )