The kindness of others


While I am in the throes of pregnancy stomach flu, I have to thank a few people:

My visiting teachee. She lives in a tiny apartment with a dog, 4 cats, a lifetime of memorabilia and her middle aged son. Her sister/surrogate mother passed away yesterday, and she did not have the money to attend the funeral in Montana. Yet, she bought Sarah a little art kit to play with while I am lying down on the couch, and my two year old is overcome with boredom. I was so grateful for her spirit and that art kit.

Andrew, my good husband. In two years, I have rarely missed sleep when Sarah struggles in the night (this has been a lot lately). He is the one the cares for her in the dark hours. He holds her, sings to her, and gives blessings. He is the one she calls for at night.

Katrina, my youngest sister, who by request, got a babysitter and drove into the innards of Houston, to attempt to get a China Visa for Andrew. In the midst of this charity, her vehicle gets towed to an unknown spot, and she hitches a ride with the tow truck, and has to pay $200. Oh, yes, the Visa did not quite work. Yet, Katrina only talked about the lovely drive, and the kindness of the tow truck driver. She is a saint.

Courtney, who serves in the Young Women's with me, somehow knew that top of the line Saltines and a case of Canada Dry, would cure the roughest of tummy woes. It was a thrill to see them sitting on our counter when I came home from church.

I appreciate how kind people are. It makes me want to be a little kinder.

Comments

Christy Dyer said…
I'm so sorry you are not feeling well, but am very impressed with the kindness of your friends and family too. The thing is Candace, that you have also given to them, and it's now come back to you: Cast your bread out on the water and it comes back toasted AND buttered and sometimes with jam!
The Bears said…
I was just thinking the same thing today... how abundantly my friends and family have given to me during this pregnacy. I have hand me downs galore.
You can do it, Candace! It won't last forever, even though it feels so horrible. And Sarah will be just fine. What a wonderful baby you'll have!