Salt Lake's Secret Garden

I had never heard of it.
Backstory: Sarah and I took a drive to return a movie, and when I brought her home, she cried. Home just does not hold the same appeal with a sick Mommy and a momentarily absent Daddy.

I had read about a sculpture garden that "no one knows about" near Trolley Square (500 South about 730 East), so we journeyed there. I drove past it twice.

It is a man's testimony in sculpture. The gardens are beautifully kept. And, yes, that is Joseph Smith as a Sphinx.


This is the sculptor. He was Bishop of the 10th ward for 19 years, hence the homage to the 10th ward behind him. The garden was strange at first, until I read the 'whys' behind his art. It is important to know why with artists. It is then that we love them.

By the way...the date on my camera is wrong. I keep meaning to change that. These were taken October 26, tonight, in case people were worried.

Comments

The Bears said…
I've never seen it either and I must have driven by it hundreds of times. I'll be on the look out.
Wow - what is going on with the luck of the visa?! I don't think I ever told you guys that I got a parking ticket while trying to get Andrew's visa a while back. These "big cities" like to get the suburbia folk on the "unobvious" laws!

Where was Katrina parked? I have to imagine that it wasn't as obvious as it might seem. Did she have her kids w/her? (does she have kids?) What a good sister! Hopefully the visa he has now will last a long time! ; )

Ugh, the morning sickness is a killer! My kids watch lots of t.v. when I'm pregnant. It's the only way I can manage! Although being outside is a good distraction too. I'll have to try the club soda next time. The saltines never worked for me, but maybe I need the soda with it.

I am extremely interested in the "Why" behind this artist. Maybe you'll have to give me the scoop before I take my in laws there. (they know I always have a "new" place to visit when we come). I'm not sure this would be their style, but then again, that's the beauty of art - it touches each of us differently. Thanks for the post!
Mrs. Olsen said…
So is this his backyard?

What a fun little find. Sorry you aren't feeling so hot!