My first race-Thanksgiving morning

It was my first 5K race!
I put the number over my stomach to remind me that I was racing with a little partner...four months old in the womb later this week. It would be great if I had a little round pregnant belly like other women. I just look thicker. Like a tree. A short tree.
My romantic dream had always been to be a marathon runner, but I have held a secret aversion to running since 6th grade P.E. The mile and me were not friends.

So, finally, I wanted to accomplish my first goal of a 5K without walking. I had not done this since my mission, and I had never entered a "race". This probably was not a big deal to anyone else, but it was to me.

One of my cute cousins had not eaten pre-race, and started dry heaving. Not me...I prepared carbohydrate-wise by eating 3 packets of oatmeal (peaches and cream:) for two hours before the race. Way too much, but I wanted to make sure that I had no sugar lows, especially while pregnant. And, I tend to overcompensate.

Anyway, it was awesome. I found that after the 8-minute mark, I could run forever. I think that I had usually stopped before that...before I was warmed up. Now I know that I can run forever...or close.

The best part was getting to the finish line and seeing family. It was a like the Celestial Kingdom. Because they are better than I, of course, they reached the Kingdom first, but slow and steady, I made it too. It was great to see them: Aunt Liza, Uncle Loren, Jenna, Jeff, Terry Jr., Trisha, Eric, some of their children, and a few I did not see, but Andrew did, Merissa, Tate, and Tavner.

My Mom said, since I ran, I could eat anything that I wanted for Thanksgiving. Hooray for Aunt Liza and the Draper, UT Thanksgiving 5K.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good for you!

(I wonder if your aversion to the sixth grade mile perhaps stemmed from the fact that you had to run around the gym like 40 times, so you ended up kind of running on a sideways lean from taking all the corners. I think that's what soured ME on running, anyway.)

Anyway, congratulations!
Ben and Shara said…
sorry I missed the race. sounds like it was fun.
Congradulations on making your 5run and especially while your pregnant. I take it that you are getting over morning sickness. Great job!!!
Christy Dyer said…
I am sooooo proud of you. I wish I could have been there to meet you too! Good going! And you shouldn't really have any morning sickness anymore being near 4 months! What a milestone.
Mrs. Olsen said…
Way to go! My (new) sister-in-law is from Draper and her family started that 5K! It goes to a great cause...plus celestial kingdom visions is a great benefit.
The Bears said…
Nice... I can't believe you did this pregnant. I went from the way to sick to do anything but my job and come home and cry stage, to the way to hungry to think about anything other than eating food stage.
Way to go!!! I'm so impressed. How do you have the energy?
Janet said…
Congratulations! The first part of a marathon is a 5K. Props for running your first race while pregnant. Good job.