Bell Tryouts and to be a Man in the Church


Yesterday, I went to the first audition of "The Bells on Temple Square". The auditions run for 1 1/2 months.

Since they have upped the caliber of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, I thought that this was my chance to participate in my favorite group (I refer to the Choir with a capitol "C")...my voice is not quite to their level, despite good genes, and a lot of enthusiasm.

It was really fun, and I had great hopes. If you have a knack for rhythm and counting music, you are set. I still have great hopes, but they wained a little when I discovered that the room was full of women bell hopefuls (talented and beautiful at that), and they only had two open positions. What they really needed was MEN (apparently to ring the big bells). There were no men present.

Oh, to be a man in the Church. We women have outnumbered men, 20 to 1 since the dawn of time. If I were a man, they would take me if I had a heartbeat. A good, faithful, man is a rare and precious gift. Women are just naturally awesome, I guess. Luckily, I married one of the rare and precious ones.

But I still have hope and another month of tryouts.

Comments

Jensens said…
Good luck, you would be great. Believe me, you stand out with your greatness!
Janet said…
OK that is the coolest thing. If I lived in Utah, I would be following you to these tryouts. I got bells for Christmas to go in my random musical instrument collection (it joined my tambourine, cabasa, castinets, agogo bell, maracas...). I have far from mastered them. I guess it takes a month and half! Good luck girl.
Ben and Shara said…
wow, is there any chance that your good man is going to try out? how fun.

Good luck.
Andrew said…
Well, her "good" man considered it for 8 seconds. The only problem is that he is pretty tight on time right now. That and his biggest struggle with music has always been timing, so percussion may not be his strength.

But he totally hopes she makes it! Go Candice!
Mrs. Olsen said…
ha! Was this an endorsement for polygamy?

Good luck next time.
Andrew said…
Good luck this time! You can do it!!!