A Call for Names

We are searching for names for our first boy. It is an exciting thing to name someone. I used to do it in China for my Chinese friends and students who desired English names. They would come up with names like "Building", "President", or "Grandy", while I suggested names like, "Max", "Luke and Leah" (for a pair of twins I taught), or "Lindbergh" (which sounded heroic to me, ala Charles Lindbergh, but he changed it, because he heard that it meant stinky cheese).

Well, here are some names that we are thinking of for our little one. I am not married to any of them, and he might or might not receive any of them. I am just throwing them out to the cyber universe for votes, suggestions, or whatnot.

Noah
Atticus
Eli
Call
John
Wyatt
Wynn

Any suggestions? Any preferences? I noticed that my tastes seem to alternate between Old Testament Prophet and Cowboy. Hmmmmm......

Comments

Jensens said…
Deciding on a name is so hard. I like Noah and Eli from your list. I also like Canyon, Calob, Jack, and Mason. Good luck with your decision!
The Bears said…
I LOVE the name Atticus! My brother really wants to use it. I hope whomever he marries like it too. I like your list. It's great. You can't go wrong.
Deborah said…
I love the name Wyatt!! Best of luck finding the name that fits your little angel just right!
jennaloha said…
Your literary tastes are showing- or did you not get Call from "Jacob have I loved," a personal favorite of mine. I don't know any Calls outside of pages. You should make one.
Call is my mother's maiden name. I had never thought about it being a first name. That's cool.
--Katrina
I like thinking of names too!
I vote Noah or Eli.
Steve said…
You can't call him Ava; we beat you to that one, plus he would get beat up.
Jordan Page said…
Oh my gosh I love them all! I think Wyatt is cute, I like the two syllables since your last name is just one syllable. They are all adorable though! As you well know, sometimes they "look" like a certain name when they are born, so maybe he'll surprise you anyway :)
Lorin and Liza said…
How about Bagley? Or Eli Bagley?
Shannon said…
I think Noah is great... but they are all cute!
Brandi said…
I love you and will love your boy, but please don't name him Atticus.Stick with something a little more classic (Eli, Noah)and a little less Roman solder.
Melissa Buecher said…
Oh Candice,

Is that comment from Brandi your sister or another Brandi? I'm with her. No Atticus please. Nor Sparticus. I know I am approaching thin ice a little here considering some of the choices your sisters have made...(sorry girls).
Here's what you need to think of. Someday this baby will be a man. He'll be creating a resume, and at the top in big letters will be his name. Let it not be Canyon, Dixson, Parker, River, Bridger, or worse, some weird phonetic representation of a normal name. I'm all for having a name that is NOT on the top 10 most popular names, but that doesn't mean you have to go the extreme. The other thing you have to consider is how it sounds togther with your last name. Call Rail? What's his number? Say it 10 times in a row with middle and last names included. If it still feels good, then you can add it to your list. The best place to look is at http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ You can make SURE that your kid is not going to have 6 other kids in his class at school with the same name.
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Good luck. He'll be loved no matter what.