The Boy Who Invented Television


When you drive by Rigby, Idaho, there is a billboard that says "BIRTHPLACE OF THE TELEVISION". I was always proud about that sign, because in my heart, I knew that I was a blood relative of the man who did it. It was as if I had some genius cells in my body because of this relationship.

A few weeks ago, I read his biography, "The Boy Who Invented Television" by Paul Schatzkin. The author was not a Latter day Saint, and Philo was not an active one, but you could not help but see the inspiration of this boy inventor who did not graduate from high school or college.

Oh, yes, he came up with the idea of television at 14 YEARS OLD-while plowing a potato field.

There is something about potatoes and 14 year olds.
I found this quote in the appendix. You felt it through the book, but it was amazing to hear him say it:


"I know that God exists. I know that I have never invented anything. I have been a medium by which these things were given to the culture as fast as the culture could earn them. I give all the credit to God." Philo T. Farnsworth

Later, when he was successfully working on fusion, he stopped. It was as if God let him know that the world was not ready for that kind of power yet.

God gives us technology. It is not us; even though I have thought from time to time that it was.

Philo eventually married his wife in the temple. Yay for Philo.

P.S. I would love to know exactly how I am related, if only to know how many genius genes might be floating in my body.

Comments

Ben and Shara said…
interesting. i've noticed that sign many times over the years but have never looked into it. it would be just like you to read a book on the guy. way to stay informed.

p.s. what are the results of the bell ringer auditions? did I miss it?
Candice-

It's good to see you online again -I've missed seeing your posts and hearing your thoughts.

This post is very interesting. I love your passion for books and learning. You are an inspiration (and funny too!)

lov ya!
karrie
Jon + Kat said…
Isn't he like our great uncle or something? I think we are related through grandma. Yeah, I don't know the exacts either.
Janet said…
Let me know when you find out. I'm also interested. Are my smarts genetic or just me? haha. I bet my mom knows, I'll ask her.
The Bears said…
I love that picture of the Salt Lake Temple.
driver49 said…
Thanks for mentioning my book. As for not being LDS myself, or Philo not being "active," I'd just think his inspiration is the sort that transcends all faiths. But I'm glad you liked the book regardless. Thanks again.
jennaloha said…
Hey Candice- can I post this on Rexburbia.com? It's a great story!
Candice said…
Dear Paul Schatzkin,

I am sorry for mentioning the LDS part (who knew that someone besides my close relatives would catch my post). You are so right. Faith, truth, and inspiration is everywhere. I was just amazed at how inspired I was from your writing, which was not necessarily written as a religious book with the thesis, "God makes an inventor", yet I saw Him through the whole book. I have never read anything like it. It is one of the best biographies I have ever read. You did an extraordinary work.

Thank you for taking the technology and explaining it in a way that I could understand. Thank you for describing the corporate wars, and the miracle of patents. Who knew how important patents were (or how horrible man can be)? I am impressed Philo grasped the importance of Patents in his youth. Thank you for inspiring me with the marriage of the Farnsworths. I wanted to be a better wife.

I loved the quotes from brilliant scientists who were also inspired.

Eastern Idahoans and Utahns are proud of our Philo T. Farnsworth (whether we are related to him or not). Thank you for giving up decades of your life to write this exceptional biography about our hero.

He is more of a hero to me, since I read your book.

Again, Thank you, Paul Schatzkin. You are awesome.
Janet said…
FYI, my mom looked it up and Philo T. Farnsworth's grandfather was a brother to Grandma Walker's Gr Grandfather (Stephen M. Farnsworth). It's distant but I'll still count it as a relation.
Candice said…
Wow, good job, Aunt Joni. Now I know. You are so awesome.
Candice said…
So, I am 5th cousins with his Great Grandchildren...or 2nd cousins 3 times removed from him? I think?
Anonymous said…
I remember going to the little Philo T. Farnsworth museum as a kid. I think I'd like to go back as an adult--if it's still there--and check it out again.

So . . . how's about 'Philo' as a name, hmm?
Mike Provard said…
Photo of Salt Lake Temple (daytime with snow) is (c)2007 by Michael Provard.