Memphis

I went South this weekend. I found that Southerners are really that nice, the food is really that good, and Elvis lives, kind of. I was welcomed time and time again, fed until I burst, and discovered a good southern boy named Elvis Aaron.
Steele was my traveling companion. I could not have asked for a better one. Okay, Andrew would have been my traveling companion of choice, but he could not fly free by sitting on my lap.

United is now my favorite airline to fly. The United workers were super kind, as were the passengers. It helped to have a smiley baby strapped to me to evoke all manner of helpfulness from people, but I like to think that United hires classy workers.

At the suggestion of my Dad, I went to Graceland. Yes, I sang the Paul Simon song the whole time. It was smaller and more homey than I had imagined. The legend had been built up in my psyche for decades, and no home could have lived up to what I had in my head.

I laughed at this superimposed Greg Olsen picture of the Savior holding, not a child, but a picture of Elvis on His lap. Yes, I passed this on my Graceland tour. It was one of the many tributes littering the property.


This is my best friend's daughter. My favorite thing about visiting Tennessee was being able to take copious notes on how a truly good family is run. Lezlie and her husband are finishing their Medical Residency in Memphis, hence my visit. Lezlie is one of the best Moms I have ever known. This little girl is one of the best three-year-olds I have ever known.

I had to take note of the day that I chose to fly. It was neat to see color guards of Security Officers reverently commemorating September 11 as I walked through the terminals. I felt a warm spirit as we had a moment of silence in the chaos of the Chicago airport.
I am glad to be home. I feel rejuvenated and energized to be the world's number one wife and Mom. Thanks Memphis and thanks Lezlie and family for hosting me there.

Comments

The Bears said…
My husband would be so jealous. He is a huge Elvis fan. Glad you are back safe and sound.
Merissa said…
I'm glad to hear you and Lezlie are close! What a fun trip.