The Happiest of Thanksgivings

We feel blessed multiple times a moment, in ways that we can say and ways that we must keep in our hearts.

We were invited to our neighbors for Thanksgiving. They are a part-Russian family who was celebrating their first American Thanksgiving.
People who asked looked skeptical when we told them of our plans of Borscht and smoked fish Thanksgiving. Our favorite meals, though, have been when our foreign friends invite us over for celebrations. The Ethopian confirmation we attended was amazing, our Ramadan feast with our Jerusalem friends was delectable, and my Saudi Arabian women's party cannot be equaled.
This Thanksgiving with a twist was no different. It was super-delicious. It had Russian elements combined with turkey and mashed potatoes, but to be honest, I was so stuffed by the time I got to the American fare, I could barely enjoy it.

This is Sarah with her Borscht. Thank you, Olga, Scott, and Katya.
Black Friday was Fabulous! We walked into REI at 8:00 a.m. when it opened and were handed $40 in gift cards to spend. Steele got some REI pajamas for free that he could climb Mt. Everest in. Sarah got a coat and boots...from Sears. Not quite Everest worthy, but wonderful nonetheless.
Then we pulled out the decorations.
It cannot get more magical than decorating a tree with a child. We were blessed with economical Christmas decor, for we got the tree for free when Banana Republic at Trolley Square closed last year. The tree topper was in a meats gift basket that was to be thrown away. We bundled it up, wrapped the included ribbon and tied it on the tree.
On Saturday, we pulled out all of our warm clothing and went sledding at Sugar House Park.


Followed by Andrew's awesome hot chocolate.
A visit from Uncle Shawn and Aunt Chantal.
An attempt at Monkey Bread.
We also cut Andrew's hair while listening to the BYU-Utah game. Andrew felt like it would be good if I did it, so after watching three different YouTube haircutting demonstrations, I went for it. It turned out astonishingly handsome. Blessedly, Andrew has a lot of good hair to work with.

It was a perfect weekend. I wrote about some of the outward things that we did, but I wish that I could express all of the small things that happened where we knew that angels were sending gifts from the kindest of Fathers.

Happy Thanksgiving 2010. It was the happiest for us.


Comments

Becky said…
Happy Thanksgiving, Candice! I am thankful that you share your loving and faithful spirit with the rest of us via your blog! You inspire me :) Looks like a happy holiday for sure. We decorated the tree with our kids and I agree about your decorating with children assessments. Most magical. Sarah is looking so grown up!
Mrs. Olsen said…
I love your Thanksgiving fest! I tried to make borscht once and I seriously thought it was downright disgusting. Hopefully your russian buddies did it better.

I hope your little sis is doing alright...
Kim and Preston said…
What a good Thanksgiving! How fun!
Ben and Shara said…
So great. We had Chinese buffet for Thanksgiving and I have no regrets. Wonderful and relaxing. No cleaning or baking for me. . . your week sounds like it was lovely.
Candace said…
Oh fun! You scored on the REI card! I'm a little sad it's over but I'm looking forward to Christmas.