Becoming American



Sarah, Steele and I went to witness a spouse of one of Andrew's cousins become an American citizen at the overflowing Rose Wagner Theater in Salt Lake City.

I did not expect it to be such a spiritual experience. It was the Gospel to me. It was people so grateful to renounce allegiance to former countries and finally be Americans...and I felt the blessings, peace, and opportunity that would follow for generations.

The judge presiding over the 'court' had people from different countries express their feelings about becoming American. It was as sweet as your favorite testimony meeting.

I heard words like Peace (from Refugees of war torn countries), Freedom (to choose their own religion), Education, Gratitude, Limitless Opportunity, and Sacrifice.

A man born in Somalia said, 'If I were to become a citizen of Russia or Germany, I would still be Somalian. But today I am American.'

So am I, and I remember today why I am so blessed to be one.

Comments

Lorin and Liza said…
I suppose we take our citizenship for grant, after all we have always had it. I experienced some similar feelings at Parley's graduation as we sang the National Anthem, it just wells up from the heart and I can sing at all, I just move my lips.
Christy Dyer said…
I always love hearing your insights. I love the things you participate in that enrich your lives and in turn enrich ours.
jennaloha said…
That Somalian touched my heart. I wish Americans were that American.
Becky said…
That is so neat to hear, Candice! My mother became a US citizen a few years and though I wasn't able to attend -- it was in Utah, everybody in my family said it was AMAZING and that they felt the spirit very strong. I love our country!
The Bears said…
What a neat experience. I hope to have the chance to go to one someday.
Abigail said…
I absolutely agree. It was moving experience when Peter was sworn in.