Facebook today

I look at my Facebook every few months. I miss a lot. Yesterday, I was pondering where to send Sarah to school and I needed advice; Facebook was the logical place to ask. It is indeed becoming the next great search engine. I did get some great advice, and I am pumped to follow up on it.

Facebook is also a place to find and to be found by old friends from all over the world. Today I got this message from the Philippines:

"Tumaba na si Marimar, but still beauty pa rin...Kumusta."

It was very Filippino. Tagalog mixed in with a little English, and oh, the translation:

"You have gotten fatter, but still beautiful...How are you?"

I love it.

In her defense, to be told that you are getting fat is a compliment in the Philippines. So. basically she was saying, 'You look like you are doing well'. At least I hope that is what she meant:).
And, I got ridiculously thin on my mission...near unhealthy thin. The Filipinos would say that I was getting thinner, and while my American brain took it as a compliment, they were really saying, "it looks as though you are having a rough mission".

So thank you my Filippino friend for telling me that it looks like life is really great, because it is.

I had to add a picture. This is from Andrew's phone. I am always amazed at Sarah's complete and utter unsqueamishness. So proud am I.



Comments

Andrew said…
I must be a god in the Phillipines!