Never had a Spring Break

I hear the words Spring Break whispered all around. This is a new concept for me.

I have never had a Spring Break, and I am glad of it.

Not that I am glad never to have had a Spring Break, because it might have been fun, but I am glad of my great alternatives.

Alternative number 1: Spud Harvest Vacation
Between September and October, the Idaho Potato Farmers tell their School Boards when they will Harvest. Then, all of the students are released for two weeks to help in that endeavor.

I wonder if you wish that you were from Idaho now.

It is a great time to go to Disneyland, because not many other places have a Spud Harvest Vacation in lu of Spring Break. Really, would you rather go to the Magic Kingdom in October with the Idahoans, or during Spring Break with the rest of the world?

Alternative number 2: End School earlier.
I went to BYU. They had a great idea to send their students into the summer work force a little faster, or get a spring semester in. So, instead of a crazy spring break, we finished winter semester in April and got to work, maybe nabbing summer positions before the competition.

Then I got married. Marriage, thank goodness does not have a Spring Break. No need.

Comments

Jon + Kat said…
I would totally take Spud Harvest over spring break, but we do enjoy spring break at our house since we only get one more before our real life begins! (well, for Jon. As for me, I still plan on trips with the kids if I can swing it!)
Christy Dyer said…
you don't need a spring break because you create spring wherever you are!
Ben and Shara said…
Spud harvest vacation sounds better. Two weeks is awesome. Do families actually harvest then or do most head out and vacation?
squiresclan said…
Sadly spud harvest is pretty much a thing of the past now at least for Idaho Falls, i don't know if Rigby or Rexburg still do it. But i do fondly remember the 2 weeks off for spud harvest as a kid. My kids are going to be on spring break next week in fact.
Candice said…
I am not sure if most families harvest or not. It seemed that most of my friends were involved in the harvest,especially in our ward. I only harvested one year, the rest going to family vacation. It was a great way for kids to earn money, even young kids. They worked from morning til midnight quite often, depending on the weather, and the urgency to get the potatoes from the ground.

I know that Rexburg still has the vacation, but am not sure how much of the town in involved now.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew said…
We take Spring Breaks all the time....we just take them together. And we have yet to do it in trendy Florida or Mexico. Make mine off the beaten path and replace the tequila with stinky tofu and the bikinis with elephants. Now you have a spring break!