The Accident

On the last week of their Mission in Wyoming, Dad fell off of the roof of the Visitor's Center which they personally helped design and build with their own hands.
It was 30 feet up.
So for Labor Day weekend, we went to see our walking (with a cane) miracle of a Dad. We are so grateful that he is not only alive, but he came away with only: a broken shoulder, foot, chipped elbow, and a few stitches. This is our Brother-in-Law, Zach removing Dad's stitches a 6 days after he fell.
This is our family, having Family Home Evening, conducted by Dad, who was in and out due to his pain killers.

As I watched him over the weekend, I recognized how much pain he was in, but he said that even more painful than his injuries, was not doing anything. So, to the consternation of my Mother, he was up and around, having meetings, and working as he always has.

Secretly, I was proud of him for frustrating her so. Not that frustrating Mom was a good thing. No, I loved his character in getting up and working despite all obstacles. I honor him for that, and hope to be a little like him.

Where are Mom and Dad now? 7 days after he fell off of the roof, they are back in Wyoming, on their mission. You see, they still have 5 days left.

Comments

The Bears said…
Wow! That is character. Falling from high up has to be one of the most painful things. My Dad fell from the ladder at the top of our roof and then the ladder fell on him and bounced twice. He said he laid there and wished he could cry, but was in too much pain for any kind of release. I am glad your Dad is okay and I hope that none of us ever have to experience a fall like that.
Annette said…
So glad that you still have your father and the kids still have their grandfather, although a little broken for a while. What a great example to his family for not being a whimp and staying strong.
bBchronicles said…
OMGosh! What on earth?!?! I'm so sorry to see what happened to your poor dad! Darn anyway! He's always reminded me of my very hard-headed stubborn husband - they're exactly alike!!!!! Little did you know. He was being watched over - he could have been killed! SO, SO SORRY!

THANK YOU for your sweet comments on my blog - how sweet are you! Thank you for your kind comments - really it meant a lot! Glad you could make it up to your folks and watch after them!!! Your dad will be like my hubby - they're not going to die, they're both going to WEAR OUT! haha!

Hugs!
Ben and Shara said…
I heard about the accident. Amazing that he came away with so few injuries. I loved reading the play by play on the building that he sent out . . .only to hear about the final miracle of him surviving a fall.
I love your dad. Thanks for sharing more details.
Jon + Kat said…
I talked to Dad on Sunday and he was telling me to take it easy and let my body recover, meanwhile I'm telling him to do the same. Apparently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and I know why I struggle sitting still, even when in pain! Dad is a rockstar! I am just glad they get released VERY soon so that maybe he will get the real rest he needs!
Christy Dyer said…
There are so many miracles that happen to missionaries, but how is your Dad going to fly the plane home??? We are grateful for his preservation!
Candice-

I'm so glad to hear your Dad is doing well - What a blessing!

xoxo,
karrie
Unknown said…
OF COURSE he fell off the roof. Don't you know you can't build a building with your own two hands without falling off the roof at least once.

I bet my dad was there to break his fall.
Candice said…
I do not doubt it, Chelsea. They always looked out for each other.
jennaloha said…
Oh my! 30 feet! I bet angels coushioned his fall, but let him get hurt just enough to invoke some good sympathy.