For Those Who Pinterest - Six Simple Rules for Pinterest


So I (Andrew) have been on Pinterest for a couple months now. I honestly think it is brilliant, for reasons I will not go into here.

Now as you know, I follow many of you Pinterest. I (Andrew) am not stalking you, Pinterest made me do it, we are Facebook fans. I am glad I am. You have style and great ideas. They also made me follow a bunch of people I had never known before, 8 of them with the last name of Wang.

After playing with it for a couple of hours, I found some people I followed did somethings that really made it easy for me.

1. Pin the blog post, not the entire blog
Sometimes I see a pin and I think, "That is way cool!" So I click on the pin and the item featured is nowhere to be found. That was because the blog was pinned and by the time I visited your pin, the blog has been updated. But if you pin the actual blog post (click on the blog post title) rather than the blog in general, we can find it easily and rejoice in your choice!

2. Organization is key. Make your boards specific.
If you name a board "Cool to Me," and then put cute skirts and dream yachts in there, potential followers who are looking for either dream yachts or cute skirts (but not both) will not get it.

Here is an idea. Keep the board, "Cool to Me" and pin the cute skirt or dream yacht twice. Once in a board that folks can follow (ie, Hair) and then again in "Cool to Me."

Example:

So I dig the buffalo bites, but you lost me with the bridesmaid dress and the pic of Gone With the Wind.


3. Make your blogs more Pinterest friendly.
When you create a blog post about an idea you have, include a good picture of the idea in the post. Then people can share your incredible ideas with lots of people!

4. Do not be upset if someone unfollows a specific a board.
The Denver Broncos or deer antlers just may not be their forte. If you see a board that is not your forte, just click on the board name, and then click the white box that says "Following." This will fill your Pinterest home page with pins you would find more interesting.



5. For your spouses:
You may want to create a board that has birthday gift ideas/date ideas/things I dream my sweetheart will do ideas, whatever you want him to see. Have another board that says "Important Dates" with cute pictures of calendars highlighting a specific date (anniversary, etc).

6. Tell your spouses about the boards you made with them in mind.
Do not assume they will ever look at them, even once. Even if you have been married for 37 years, mind reading is never a fun game to play. Explain to them the significance of the board.
You: Sweetheart, I want to show you something
Sweetheart: Yes?
You: See this "board" that I made?
Sweetheart: Huh?
You: On Pinterest
Sweetheart: Huh?
You: There is a web site that I can take note of what is really important to me or what I like. They are divided into "boards." Take a look.
Sweetheart: How come all I see are skirts and hairdos?
You: Skip all of that, this is what I want you to see (then walk them through how to find the boards that you made with them in mind). You see these? This board is important to me because of (then clearly explain...then repeat with the boards you made for your sweetheart).
Sweetheart: Okay
You: So at Christmastime, or on our anniversary, you will know where to come to find out what I like or want or to just get inspired.
Sweetheart: So no more mindreading or trying to guess what you want?
You: No
Sweetheart: And I can wait until the last second to buy something or spending too long in a store thinking because I know exactly what you want?
You: Yes
Sweetheart: How do I find this again? Can I bookmark it?
Regardless of whether they say the last line, show them how to find it again. And when they forget in the future, show them again. Do not get upset with them. Learning is always about repetition.

There is one more rule. Rule number 7. Ditch these six rules and do what you want.

After all, your boards are all about your own style and what you find Pinteresting.

Comments

Sadie said…
Great post, especially the bonus rule. :)

http://sadielankford.com